0.001s separate Aegerter from pole position in Le Mans
Less than a thousandth of a second would be virtually impossible to measure, but this time it was precisely this minimal gap in the qualifying battle for the second round of the MotoE World Cup at Le Mans that decided pole position and means that Dynavolt Intact GP team ace Dominique Aegerter will start both races this weekend in second place.
It was just another sensational and anxious couple of scenes in the battle for pole position for the third and fourth races of the season at the SHARK Grand Prix de France at the traditional Le Mans Circuit, which always provides plenty of action with its chicanes over the 4.2 km long course.
On the chilly Friday morning, things were not quite running smoothly for the German-Swiss team combo, but with the backing and support of his crew, Dominique Aegerter found more confidence with every lap on his all-electric Energica Ego Corsa machine. His 1'46.687 from FP1 turned into a 1'44.833 in FP2, which the Swiss finally managed to improve to 1'43.560 in Qualifying 2. A brilliant performance that saw him miss out on pole position for the second of seven race weekends in 2022 by just 0.001s behind Italian Mattia Casadei.
On Saturday, there will be no time left for the MotoE competitors to make final adjustments, because when the lights go out at 16:25 (CEST) for the first of two 8-lap sprint races, it's just visor down, throttle up.
1. Mattia CASADEI / ITA - 1'45.864
2. Jordi TORRES/ SPA – 1'45.900 (+0.036)
3. Miquel PONS / SPA - 1'46.086 (+0.222)
9. Dominique AEGERTER / SWI - 1'46.687 (+0.823)
1. Jordi TORRES/ SPA – 1'44.288
2. Matteo FERRARI / ITA - 1'44.402 (+0.114)
3. Kevin ZANNONI/ ITA – 1'44.429 (+0.141)
8. Dominique AEGERTER / SWI - 1'44.833 (+0.545)
1. Mattia CASADEI / ITA - 1'43.559
2. Dominique AEGERTER / SWI - 1'43.560 (+0.001)
3. Kevin ZANNONI/ ITA – 1'43.580 (+0.021)