Schrötter and Alcoba hope for a proper step on race Sunday in Argentina
After an unusual Saturday opener at the Autodromo Termas de Rio Hondo, LIQUI MOLY Intact GP riders Marcel Schrötter and Jeremy Alcoba will start the third race of the season from positions 18 on row six and P25 on row nine.
A busy Saturday lies behind the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team after logistical problems with some race teams' freight led to the complete postponement of Friday's practice sessions - something that has never happened in the over 50-year history of the motorcycle world championship. The German racing team had additional difficult conditions, as both of the team's Data engineers had to stay at home due to positive Corona tests, but supported their colleagues on-site with advice and support via mobile phone.
A bitter-sweet day of forced rest struck back today, Saturday, with packed racing action. The first two free practice sessions were extended to 50 minutes each, while FP3 was dropped from the schedule. Qualifying 1 followed without any significant break, where both LIQUI MOLY Intact GP riders were hoping for a place in the fiercely contested Q2.
Before that, Marcel Schrötter finished in a rather unsatisfying 15th place in FP1, which he was unable to improve in FP2, ultimately finishing in 19th place. The German was plagued by similar problems as in Indonesia two weeks ago. In Q1, however, the 29-year-old managed to secure his place in the all-important Qualifying 2 by finishing fourth. Unfortunately, he was unable to follow up minutes later, so in the end, P18 and grid row six were his final results of the day.
Jeremy Alcoba, for his part, had to study the Autodromo Termas de Rio Hondo within a few hours, set up his bike and fight for competitive times - not an easy task for the Moto2 rookie, who did not feel 100% comfortable on his Kalex in both FP1 and FP2. The 20-year-old Spaniard starts the Argentina Grand Prix from position 25 on row nine but hopes to quickly find his rhythm in the race and fight for the points.
The Moto2 warm-up, which has been extended to 20 minutes, starts at 14:50 (CEST), while the third race of the season is scheduled to start at 18:20 (CEST).
1. Fermín ALDEGUER/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'43.356
2. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'43.486 (+0.130)
3. Somkiat CHANTRA/ THA/ KALEX – 1'43.672 (+0.316)
15. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'44.731 (+1.375)
17. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'44.803 (+1.447)
1. Fermín ALDEGUER/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'43.502
2. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'43.562 (+0.060)
3. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX - 1'43.824 (+0.322)
19. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'44.419 (+0.917)
24. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'45.051 (+1.549)
1. Cameron BEAUBIER/ USA/ KALEX – 1'44.132
2. Manuel GONZALEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'44.156 (+0.024)
3. Zonta VAN DEN GOORBE/ NED/ KALEX – 1'44.185 (+0.053)
4. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'44.199 (+0.067)
11. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'44.652 (+0.520)
1. Fermín ALDEGUER/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'43.306
2. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'43.456 (+0.150)
3. Tony ARBOLINO/ ITA/ KALEX - 1'43.513 (+0.207)
18. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'44.554 (+1.248)