Five-minute regulation after Red Flag resulted to be Cortese's doom
For the Dynavolt Intact GP team, the Brno weekend unfortunately ended without points. After Marcel Schrötter had to retire from the race due to injury, Sandro Cortese had bad luck combined with rain, red flag, crash and decisive five minutes.
In the Czech Republic, Sandro Cortese has been able to continue the upward trend of Sachsenring. Unstable weather conditions marked the racing day, when Sandro finished the Warm-Up session as fourth fastest and hoped to leave Brno with a top 5 result.
At the start of the Moto2 class the track was still damp, but already drying, so the race was declared as dry race. Sandro stormed into the first corner from position eight and then fought within the big top group in eleventh place. After seven laps, rain was setting in, followed by anxious minutes until finally the red flag had been displayed. But almost at the same time Sandro went down in the gravel after he hit another rider, who suddenly braked in front of him.
It was a race against time from this moment on, because the MotoGP regulations say that within five minutes after the red flag has been displayed, riders who have not entered the pit lane will not be classified. Consequently, they are not allowed to restart. Unfortunately, Sandro returned too late, because of the big damage on his bike, and he had to accept that the race was over for him.
In order to digest this bitter end, the 27-year-old and his Dynavolt Intact GP team have only a few days, because the upcoming week the Austrian Grand Prix will be held from 11 to 13 August in Spielberg. Whether Marcel Schrötter will be sitting back aboard his Suter depends on the healing process of his broken scaphoid bone.
1. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX
2. Alex MARQUEZ / SPA / KALEX
3. Miguel OLIVEIRA / POR / KTM
- Sandro CORTESE / GER / SUTER
1. Jorge NAVARRO / SPA / KALEX - 2'05.839
2. Andrea LOCATELLI / ITA / KALEX - 2'05.909 (+0.070)
3. Luca MARINI / ITA / KALEX - 2'06.046 (+0.207)
4. Sandro CORTESE / GER / SUTER - 2'06.405 (+0.566)
1. MORBIDELLI Franco / ITA / 182
2. LUTHI Thomas / SWI / 165
3. MARQUEZ Alex / SPA / 133
4. OLIVEIRA Miguel / POR / 133
5. BAGNAIA Francesco / ITA / 87
6. PASINI Mattia / ITA / 73
7. NAKAGAMI Takaaki / JPN / 69
8. CORSI Simone / ITA / 63
9. MARINI Luca / ITA / 54
10. VIERGE Xavi / SPA / 51
11. AEGERTER Dominique / SWI / 50
12. SCHROTTER Marcel / GER / 44
13. SYAHRIN Hafizh / MAL / 44
14. BALDASSARRI Lorenzo / ITA / 39
15. NAVARRO Jorge / SPA / 39
16. QUARTARARO Fabio / FRA / 32
17. BINDER Brad / RSA / 29
18. CORTESE Sandro / GER / 18
19. SIMEON Xavier / BEL / 16
20. HERNANDEZ Yonny / COL / 16