Successful opening day in front of the home crowd
Marcel Schrötter burned the second strongest time into the Sachsenring tarmac on the first training day of the German Gran Prix. Dynavolt Intact GP team mate Sandro Cortese followed with a similarly solid performance in 7th position.
The torrential rain on Thursday was followed by some sunshine. At least the first free practice session on Friday morning remained dry, when Marcel Schrötter and Sandro Cortese finished in position 6 and 13 respectively.
Just before the start of the afternoon session a couple of strong rain showers hit the home circuit. Therefore the Intact GP riders decided to start off with rain tyres. However the recently resurfaced track dried fairly quickly and the majority of the Moto2 riders returned to their boxes. After a short waiting interval the chase for the best times was kicked off on slicks.
Marcel Schrötter improved his time of the morning session by half a second. Thanks to a 1’24.894 he finished in second place and kept up with Tom Lüthi, the fastest Moto2 rider on the track to day, by a narrow 0,046 seconds.
Sandro Cortese also delivered an immaculate performance on the start of the home grand prix. He even managed to improved by six tenth in the afternoon session and secured the sixth place with a time of 1’25.279 and only 0,4 behind the top of the field. In the combined time sheets of the day he occupied the 7th position.
1. Miguel OLIVEIRA / POR / KTM - 1'24.976
2. Franco MORBIDELLI / ITA / KALEX - 1'25.215 (+0.239)
3. Takaaki NAKAGAMI / JPN / KALEX - 1'25.218 (+0.242)
6. Marcel SCHRÖTTER / GER / SUTER - 1'25.367 (+0.391)
13. Sandro CORTESE / GER / SUTER - 1'25.906 (+0.930)
1. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'24.848
2. Marcel SCHRÖTTER / GER / SUTER - 1'24.894 (+0.046)
3. Franco MORBIDELLI / ITA / KALEX - 1'25.077 (+0.229)
6. Sandro CORTESE / GER / SUTER - 1'25.279 (+0.431)