Arbolino claims Texas row three & Schrötter on row seven
On a hot Saturday at the Circuit of the Americas, Tony Arbolino first mastered the Q1 hurdle and then stormed to an excellent seventh place on the grid. Marcel Schrötter missed Q2 by one position and will start from 19th on Sunday.
Tony Arbolino kept a cool head in the hot and humid weather in Austin, despite 18th place in the last free practice. As a result, the 21-year-old managed to position himself among the four fastest riders in Q1 and thus competed in qualifying two. With his best time of the weekend so far, a 2'09.745, he raced to seventh place in the 15-minute session, from which he will lead the third row into the upcoming Americas GP in Texas.
This is Tony Arbolino's second-best grid position of the year since securing P6 of the grid at his home race in Mugello.
For Marcel Schrötter, Saturday went anything but smoothly. For the 2019 pole-sitter, expectations were much higher than the 19th on the grid. From row seven, the 18-lap race at the demanding COTA will be a tough one with temperatures expected to be roasting again. However, it would not be the first time this season that the 28-year-old has been able to use these more difficult conditions to his advantage and turn a rather unsatisfying grid position into a Top10 result.
With the start of the race tomorrow at 12:20 local time - 19:20 CET, it's fingers crossed for our LIQUI MOLY Intact GP riders.
1. Raul FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 2'09.258
2. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 2'09.319 (+0.061)
3. Fabio DI GIANNANTONIO / ITA / KALEX - 2'09.733 (+0.475)
16. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 2'10.520 (+1.262)
18. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 2'10.656 (+1.398)
1. Marcos RAMIREZ / SPA / KALEX - 2'09.652
2. Celestino VIETTI / ITA / KALEX - 2'09.956 (+0.304)
3. Somkiat CHANTRA / THA / KALEX - 2'09.970 (+0.318)
4. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 2'10.010 (+0.358)
5. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 2'10.111 (+0.459)
1. Raul FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 2'08.979
2. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 2'09.299 (+0.320)
3. Fabio DI GIANNANTONIO / ITA / KALEX - 2'09.457 (+0.478)
7. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 2'09.745 (+0.766)