Challenge accepted from starting rows five and eight at Aragon
In qualifying for the Gran Premio de Aragon, LIQUI MOLY Intact GP rider Marcel Schrötter secured 15th, whereas team-mate Tony Arbolino will start the 13th race of the season from 23rd position.
On Saturday morning, Marcel Schrötter improved his pace in the final practice session and had a good chance of staying within the Top 14 before his fastest lap was canceled, dropping the 28-year-old back to 15th place and thus out of the classification for a direct entry into Q2. He first had to make it through Q1, which he managed as third fastest, and via this diversion marched into the next qualifying session with full drive.
Unfortunately, in Q2 he had to abort one of his important first laps to avoid the almost crashing Sam Lowes in front of him. The feeling on the bike, despite no changes, was not the same either. In the end, Marcel Schrötter finished 15th in row five, from which he will tackle the 21-lap race tomorrow with a lot of expectations.
For Tony Arbolino, the intense work continued on day two at MotorLand. The young Italian took it one step at a time, working with his crew to select positive and negative aspects of the bike set-up and approach certain sections of the track. Despite the fact that the 23rd position remained behind the expectations of the ambitious rookie, he ended the day with a hopeful feeling. On Sunday, the 21-year-old faces another big challenge coming from row eight but he will activate all his fighting spirit to finally make his way back into the points.
1. Raul FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'51.859
2. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'51.974 (+0.115)
3. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 1'52.043 (+0.184)
15. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'52.785 (+0.926)
23. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'53.193 (+1.334)
1. Hector GARZO / SPA / KALEX - 1'52.249
2. Joe ROBERTS / USA I/ KALEX - 1'52.400 (+0.151)
3. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'52.697 (+0.448)
4. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'52.717 (+0.468)
9. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'52.992 (+0.743)
1. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 1'51.778
2. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'52.057 (+0.279)
3. Raul FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'52.084 (+0.306)
15. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'52.856 (+1.078)