Cortese again in the Top-10 & Brave battle by Schrötter
Sandro Cortese took the 9th place at the Aragon Grand Prix and with that his second top-10-finish in a row. Due to heavy pain, Dynavolt Intact GP teammate Marcel Schrötter had to give up close to the end of the race after he had a fantastic return to action during this weekend.
All training sessions and the races of the Moto3 and Moto2 categories had to be delayed due to dense fog at the MotorLand Aragon on Sunday morning.
Once the sun pushed the fog aside, Sandro Cortese made some last changes for the following race, finishing the shortened Warm-up in 11th place. After the sixth place two weeks ago in the rain of Misano, the 27-year-old performed some exciting battles with Alex Marquez and Takaaiki Nakagami. Once the Spaniard crashed out early and the Japanese escaped in the front, Francesco Bagnaia attacked from behind. Sandro, however, managed to keep this one in bay, and with a 9th place proved finally also in the dry, that he is back on the right way.
Seven points scored to Sandro's account in the Championship, where he is still occupying 18th position. Only eleven points are separating him to the top-15 before the overseas tour, which leads to Japan, Australia and Malaysia in October.
For Marcel Schrötter it was a fast start in the day of his first race since the Sachsenring GP twelve weeks (3months!) ago, with securing the second place in the warm-up behind Championship leader, Franco Morbidelli.
But in the course of the 21-lap battle of the 14th race of the year, the pain in his left hand became increasingly stronger and the 24-year-old had to give up the race with only for laps to go, after bravely fighting at the 12th and 13th position. Still no reason to be disappointed, because this weekend was a sensational comeback for him. Now he has got three weeks to make sure his scaphoid fracture can heal further, in order to fight back in the land of the rising sun in Japan from the 13th-15th of October.
Before that, however, the Dynavolt Intact GP team will remain on Monday in the MotorLand to take part in a one-day-test.
1. Franco MORBIDELLI / ITA / KALEX
2. Mattia PASINI / ITA / KALEX
3. Miguel OLIVEIRA / POR / KTM
9. Sandro CORTESE / GER / SUTER
- Marcel SCHRÖTTER / GER / SUTER
1. Franco MORBIDELLI / ITA / KALEX - 1'54.260
2. Marcel SCHRÖTTER / GER / SUTER - 1'54.427 (+0.167)
3. Miguel OLIVEIRA / POR / KTM - 1'54.549 (+0.289)
11. Sandro CORTESE / GER / SUTER - 1'54.903 (+0.643)
1. MORBIDELLI Franco / ITA / 248
2. LUTHI Thomas / SWI / 227
3. OLIVEIRA Miguel / POR / 157
4. MARQUEZ Alex / SPA / 155
5. BAGNAIA Francesco / ITA / 130
6. PASINI Mattia / ITA / 124
7. NAKAGAMI Takaaki / JPN / 117
8. CORSI Simone / ITA / 95
9. AEGERTER Dominique / SWI / 92
10. BINDER Brad / RSA / 67
11. SYAHRIN Hafizh / MAL / 66
12. NAVARRO Jorge / SPA / 60
13. MARINI Luca / ITA / 59
14. VIERGE Xavi / SPA / 58
15. QUARTARARO Fabio / FRA / 46
16 SCHRÖTTER Marcel / GER / 44
17. BALDASSARRI Lorenzo / ITA / 42
18. CORTESE Sandro / GER / 35
19. GARDNER Remy / AUS / 17
20. PONS Axel / SPA / 17