Cortese in 4th row - Kent has to withdraw from Spielberg
Sandro Cortese gains 10th grid position in 4th row at the Red Bull Ring, while Dynavolt Intact GP replacement rider Danny Kent has to withdraw from the Austrian Grand Prix due to health problems.
The weather at the Austrian Murtal has been stably dry and partly sunny on Saturday. Nevertheless it did not run smoothly for Sandro Cortese. The 27-year-old was able to better his time to a 1’30.101 and thus by six tenth compared to yesterday, but the feeling for his Intact GP Suter wasn't perfect anymore. Therefore the German wasn’t satisfied with the 10th starting position he was able to achieve in today’s Qualifying. His crew will try another setting change during the Warm-Up practice to give Sandro the possibility to attack with full confidence from the 4th row.
Danny Kent hurt himself more than expected during the crash in FP1 on Friday morning at Spielberg. Additional to the hematoma in his backside he also suffered from a stiff neck and headache. After the FP3 on Saturday a whiplash was confirmed by the Clinica Mobile. But the young Brit tried to ride anyway in the afternoon's Qualifying. However his headache got worse and it was difficult for him to complete many laps in a row. Therefore the 23-year-old and the team decided to resign from a start into the 25 laps long race tomorrow.
1. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'29.738
2. Francesco BAGNAIA / ITA / KALEX - 1'29.903 (+0.165)
3. Mattia PASINI / ITA / KALEX - 1'29.906 (+0.168)
14. Sandro CORTESE / GER / SUTER - 1'30.548 (+0.810)
30. Danny KENT / GBR / SUTER - 1'31.847 (+2.109)
1. Mattia PASINI / ITA / KALEX - 1'29.394
2. Franco MORBIDELLI / ITA / KALEX - 1'29.395 (+0.001)
3. Alex MARQUEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'29.570 (+0.176)
10. Sandro CORTESE / GER / SUTER - 1'30.101 (+0.707)
29. Danny KENT / GBR / SUTER - 1'31.293 (+1.899)