Encouraging Portimao opening day for Schrötter - Arbolino strives for improvement
Marcel Schrötter started the penultimate race weekend of the season in eleventh place, while Tony Arbolino experienced an unusually difficult Friday, finishing 27th on the Algarve's rollercoaster circuit.
Back at the Algarve International Circuit, the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP riders needed a few laps to adapt to the challenging up-and-down track.
Marcel Schrötter finished the first free practice session in 15th place, but then improved by a whole seven-tenths in the afternoon and reduced the gap to the top from 0.78 to 0.48 seconds with a time of 1'43.726. Thus, the 28-year-old already secured himself a provisional spot in Q2 qualifying on Friday. For Saturday, the Kalex rider hopes to at least defend his eleventh place or even undercut it.
The weekend in Portugal started with a few unexpected difficulties for the highly motivated Tony Arbolino. So far, the young Italian could not find the desired feeling on the track. With a few adjustments to his bike and riding style, he should be able to go much further than today's 27th place on Saturday.
1. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'43.667
2. Raul FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'43.681 (+0.014)
3. Aron CANET / SPA / BOSCOSCURO - 1'43.798 (+0.131)
15. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'44.452 (+0.785)
27. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'45.349 (+1.682)
1. Raul FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'43.246
2. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 1'43.248 (+0.002)
3. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'43.368 (+0.122)
11. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'43.726 (+0.480)
27. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'44.711 (+1.465)