Rookie Alcoba takes P15 in the first Moto2 Q2 of his career, Schrötter on P22
Once again, morning rain dominated the action in FP3, leaving the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP riders with little change from Friday. While Marcel Schrötter continued to look for more confidence in his Kalex, teammate Jeremy Alcoba fought his way into one of the four hotly contested Q2 places in Q1.
The Mandalika Street Circuit is truly not an easy place to ride. Unpredictable downpours, sweltering heat and a lack of experience on the new layout make the Indonesian Grand Prix an enormous challenge.
For 20-year-old Jeremy Alcoba, however, there was every reason to be happy on this qualifying Saturday. The young Spaniard jumped into third place in Qualifying 1 with bite and the necessary ease to secure his place in Q2 - on only his second Moto2 Grand Prix weekend! However, the heat took its toll on the rookie right at the start of Q2. Although drained by the climatic strain, Alcoba earned a fantastic 15th grid position on row five and by that not only lies 1.273s behind the weekend's dominator: Jake Dixon, but is also on course for points in the 23-lap race on Sunday, which will hopefully be dry.
Marcel Schrötter was less happy with the day's final result, as the experienced 29-year-old struggled to adapt his bike to the fast and twisty circuit on Lombok. After a slight improvement in the wet FP3 and 13th place, things unfortunately didn't go any further in Q1 for the German, who is disappointed and looking for solutions. But to bury his head in the sand is no option, even on starting position 22 in row eight. After all, the fighter in him has already impressively proven several times that he can also successfully hunt for the top 10 from further back.
The start of the second Grand Prix of the still young 2022 season is at 06:20 (CET).
1. Fermin ALDEGUER / SPA / BOSCOSCURO - 1'47.835
2. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX – 1'49.276 (+1.441)
3. Jake DIXON / GBR / KALEX – 1'49.294 (+1.459)
13. Marcel SCHRÖTTER / GER/ KALEX – 1'50.518 (+2.683)
27. Jeremy ALCOBA / SPA / KALEX – 1'51.976 (+4.141)
1. Somkiat CHANTRA / THA / 1'36.464
2. Bo BENDSNEYDER / NED / 1'36.738 (+0.274)
3. Jeremy ALCOBA / SPA / KALEX – 1'36.870 (+0.406)
8. Marcel SCHRÖTTER / GER/ KALEX – 1'37.033 (+0.569)
1. Jake DIXON / GBR / KALEX – 1'35.799
2. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEx – 1'35.901 (+0.102)
3. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 1'35.953 (+0.154)
15. Jeremy ALCOBA / SPA / KALEX – 1'37.072 (+1.273)