Lüthi after day one in Misano: "We know which direction to go!"
The weekend of the San Marino GP started a bit more difficult than expected for the Dynavolt Intact GP riders Tom Lüthi and Marcel Schrötter on places 13 and 16 on Friday.
The Moto2 field on day one at the "Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli" was extremely close together with 24 riders on the time sheets within one second. The two Dynavolt Intact GP riders were not satisfied with their positions, but at the end of the day they were able to draw a positive conclusion.
Tom Lüthi and his crew know where their difficulties lie and which direction they have to take to solve them. The Swiss rider completed the entire first free practice session on Friday morning on the hard rear tyre, while most of his opponents were already with the softer compound. During the much warmer afternoon session, he and his crew then worked on the soft tyre to improve the grip level of the rear. At the beginning Tom Lüthi was able to set decent lap times, but in the end he couldn't add more and slipped to 13th place. For Saturday, however, many points are clearer now.
Marcel Schrötter also had a clearer idea after the first day in scorching Misano and was relieved especially after the second practice session. After the difficult weekend in Silverstone he hoped for a better start on the Adriatic coast. But in the morning it still didn't go smooth for the 26-year-old, who still didn't have an optimal feeling on his Kalex. Fortunately, he and his team were able to improve this for the afternoon. He was still in 16th place, but the gap to the top was minimised, even though he had ridden the whole session with a used tyre. On Saturday, the Bavarian wants to improve much more and reflect his better feeling also in the placement.
1. Tetsuta NAGASHIMA / JPN / KALEX - 1'38.504
2. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'38.592 (+0.088)
3. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'38.758 (+0.254)
9. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'39.087 (+0.583)
16. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'39.452 (+0.948)
1. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'38.325
2. Alex MARQUEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'38.374 (+0.049)
3. Fabio DI GIANNANTONIO / ITA / SPEED UP - 1'38.463 (+0.138)
13. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'38.874 (+0.549)
16. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'38.965 (+0.640)