Lüthi seventh in Misano-Qualifying & Schrötter declared unfit
Tom Lüthi was able to re-join the top group in qualifying for the San Marino GP, while Marcel Schrötter had to withdraw from the in Misano weekend due to a fractured right collarbone.
Saturday at the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli was an eventful day for the Dynavolt Intact GP team. With hot temperatures the battles on track heated up as well.
Like his teammate, also Tom Lüthi had a crash in the morning. But the Swiss was lucky and remained unharmed. He finished the practice on the twelfth place and was a safe candidate of the Q2-Qualifying. In the short session in the afternoon he then took seventh place in row three and caught up with World Championship leader Alex Marquez up to 0.178 seconds, who in turn grabbed second place on the grid. Most important was that he felt comfortable again and could be constantly fast. Also the gap to pole-setter Fabio Di Giannantonio, who presented an incredible time, was not huge with three tenths. This raised expectations for tomorrow's 25 lap race.
For Marcel Schrötter a Highsider in FP3 ended painfully. The 26-year-old had just increased by 0.3 seconds to the previous day and wanted to use the next lap to make it into Q2. He gave more than 200%, but then crashed. In the Medical Center of the Misano Circuit he was diagnosed with a 4-fragment fracture of the right collarbone. This evening Marcel Schrötter will undergo surgery in Italy. In the Arcispedale Santa Maria Nuova in Reggio Emilia Dr. Enrico Lancellotti will perform the operation. Of course, the current seventh in the world championship hopes to be able to compete again in the next race in Aragón, Spain, which takes place in a week from 20 to 22 September. He would only have six days until then.
1. Alex MARQUEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'37.776
2. Fabio DI GIANNANTONIO / ITA / SPEED UP - 1'37.802 (+0.026)
3. Tetsuta NAGASHIMA / JPN / KALEX - 1'37.955 (+0.179)
12. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'38.490 (+0.714)
17. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'38.668 (+0.892)
1. Fabio DI GIANNANTONIO / ITA / SPEED UP - 1'37.481
2. Alex MARQUEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'37.618 (+0.137)
3. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'37.645 (+0.164)
7. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'37.796 (+0.315)