One step closer to the MotoE title for Aegerter
Dominique Aegerter delivered an absolute masterclass in the first showdown of the 2021 FIM Enel MotoE™ World Cup at Misano, which could not have been more nerve-wracking. He finished Race 1 in second place after strong lead work.
Unlike usual for the E-Pole, the electric class completed a 15-minute qualifying session on Saturday afternoon, in which the 18 contenders had just five laps to set their fastest time. The reason for that change was several red-flag-breaks in the Moto3 class and the resulting time delay.
Dominique Aegerter's goal of postponing the title decision until Sunday's grand finale was successful after the Swiss rider, coming from P5, moved up to third place behind Alessandro Zaccone and Hikaru Okubo immediately after the start. A few corners later, however, the two leaders collided, crashing out of the race.
From then on, a Hollywood-like thriller unfolded. The Dynavolt Intact GP rider fought his way past Jordi Torres and Matthias Casadei into the lead, which he held despite countless daring attacks from behind. The victory would have also meant taking over the world championship lead, but then Eric Granado crashed in the last corner while trying to overtake the Swiss. He in turn managed to avoid going down as well, but it took away the momentum he needed on the straight towards the finish line.
Jordi Torres finally took the win after a brutal battle ahead of Dominique Aegerter and Matthias Casadei. The 30-year-old Aegerter thus jumped from fourth place in the world championship to second, eight points behind the Spaniard Torres.
This first seven-lap sprint race was guaranteed to keep everyone on the edge of their seat. The title, as in 2020, is within his grasp. Will luck be with Dominique Aegerter tomorrow when the lights go out at 3:30 p.m. (CET) for the big, title-deciding season finale?
1. Jordi TORRES / SPA / ENERGICA - 1'43.265
2. Eric GRANADO / BRA / ENERGICA - 1'43.494 (+0.229)
3. Alessandro ZACCONE / ITA / ENERGICA - 1'43.585 (+0.320)
5. Dominique AEGERTER / SWI / ENERGICA - 1'43.706 (+0.441)
1. Jordi TORRES / SPA / HP Pons 40
2. Dominique AEGERTER / SWI / Dynavolt Intact GP
3. Mattia CASADEI / ITA / Ongetta SIC58 Squadracorse
MotoE World Cup Classification:
1. TORRES Jordi / SPA / 97
2. AEGERTER Dominique / SWI / 89
3. ZACCONE Alessandro / ITA / 80
4. GRANADO Eric / BRA / 73
5. TULOVIC Lukas / GER / 61
6. FERRARI Matteo / ITA / 61
7. CASADEI Mattia / ITA / 59
8. PONS Miquel / SPA / 57
9. HERNANDEZ Yonny / COL / 47
10. ALDEGUER Fermín / SPA / 42
11. OKUBO Hikari / JPN / 35
12. ZANNONI Kevin / ITA / 31
13. PEROLARI Corentin / FRA / 25
14. MANTOVANI Andrea / ITA / 22
15. HERRERA Maria / SPA / 22
16. CARDELUS Xavi / AND / 13
17. PIRES Andre / POR / 12
18. IWEMA Jasper / NED / 11
19. VALTULINI Stefano / ITA / 1