Portimao: Penultimate attack of the year from rows five and eight
Marcel Schrötter secured 15th on the grid after advancing to Q2 qualifying. Tony Arbolino hopes to make a comeback in the penultimate race of the season from 23rd position after progressing on Saturday in Portimao.
With an attacking Q1 qualifying session on Saturday at the Algarve International Circuit, Marcel Schrötter made the step into the following Q2 as third fastest of the session. In the second part, however, the 28-year-old was unable to repeat the same aggressive rhythm at the start, when the fresh tyres delivered the best performance. Nevertheless, he set his fastest lap of the weekend so far with 1'43.078. As a result, the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP rider is confident of having a good race from 15th position on row five of the grid.
Tony Arbolino also set his best lap time so far on the Portuguese track in qualifying. The Italian was therefore in a positive mood after he was able to improve step by step and finished the Q1 session in ninth position with a time of 1'43.605. In the overall classification, he thus arranged himself in 23rd place on the grid. The young Italian is therefore hoping to start a successful race to catch up from row eight in his penultimate race for the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team.
1. Raul FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'42.462
2. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'42.498 (+0.036)
3. Marco BEZZECCHI / ITA / KALEX - 1'42.623 (+0.161)
20. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'43.546 (+1.084)
28. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'44.223 (+1.761)
1. Fabio DI GIANNANTONIO / ITA / KALEX - 1'42.816
2. Marcos RAMIREZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'43.078 (+0.262)
3. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'43.193 (+0.377)
4. Hafizh SYAHRIN / MAL / NTS - 1'43.200 (+0.384)
9. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'43.605 (+0.789)
1. Raul FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'42.101
2. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'42.370 (+0.269)
3. Fabio DI GIANNANTONIO / ITA / KALEX - 1'42.506 (+0.405)
15. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'43.078 (+0.977)