Schrötter secures 4th row on the grid in dry Portugal qualifying
LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team rider Marcel Schrötter, the fastest of the combined free practice sessions, took P12 on row four in a dry qualifying, while rookie Jeremy Alcoba will confidently start the 5th race of the season from P26 on row nine.
The leader before the decisive qualifying was, even after another rainy FP3 on Saturday morning, Marcel Schrötter. The German also skipped the third free practice session due to renewed rain and his strong time from FP2 (2'00.678), but he was on the hot seat shortly before the end, as Celestino Vietti came dangerously close with his 2'00.810.
In Q2 in the afternoon, the sun appeared over the Autódromo Internacional do Algarve for the first time. No easy task to adjust to completely different conditions within 15 minutes. The Bavarian showed a strong pace until shortly before the end, but unfavourable timing on the last lap cost the ambitious routinier precious tenths so that in the end, he will start from the twelfth place on the grid in row four. The performance so far, both in the wet and in the dry, makes Schrötter positive for the race on Sunday, where he wants to make up ground quickly at the start.
The 20-year-old teammate Jeremy Alcoba is still in an intensive learning phase on his Kalex machine. All the more impressive is how well the young Spaniard is already coping with the different conditions. After narrowly missing out on direct entry into Q2 due to a misunderstanding at the end of the wet FP3, his 1'47.274 in Q1 was then only good enough for P12 and thus 26th on the grid on row nine, but he has proved very impressively in the four races so far that he can turn such a start into championship points.
The start of the 23-lap Moto2 Grand Prix of Portugal will follow directly after the premier class race at 15:30 (CEST).
1. Celestino VIETTI/ ITA/ KALEX – 2'00.810
2. Fermín ALDEGUER/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 2'00.990 (+0.180)
3. Sam LOWES/ GBR/ KAlEX – 2'01.027 (+0.217)
17. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 2'02.159 (+1.349)
Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – NOT CLASSIFIED
1. Marcos RAMIREZ/ SPA/ MV AGUSTA – 1'45.533
2. Tony ARBOLINO/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'45.566 (+0.033)
3. Jorge NAVARRO/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'46.076 (+0.543)
12. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'47.274 (+1.741)
1. Aron CANET/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'44.151
3. Cameron BEAUBIER/ USA/ KALEX – 1'44.479 (+0.328)
3. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'44.501 (+0.350)
12. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'45.018 (+0.867)