Schrötter starts the Valencia season final from fifth row & Arbolino hopes for a happy end
In an extremely close qualifying session for the Gran Premio de la Comunitat Valenciana, Marcel Schrötter secured 13th place on the grid by a narrow margin. Tony Arbolino finished on row nine and hopes for a conciliatory farewell from the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team tomorrow.
Marcel Schrötter continued his upward trend at the Ricardo Tormo Circuit on Saturday by setting the sixth-fastest time in the final free practice session, thus booking his entry ticket for Q2. In qualifying, the 28-year-old again showed that he seems to be slowly regaining his old strength by improving lap by lap and delivering his best time of the weekend so far. With a 1'35.244 he was only 0.288 seconds behind the pole position, which was won by Simone Corsi.
A little bit of luck was missing for the World Championship tenth, because in 13th place he missed the fourth row by only two thousandths, row three by just nine hundredths and row two by just one and a half tenths. Nevertheless, with another of his rocket starts, the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP rider will try everything tomorrow to bring the season to a decent close.
Tony Arbolino seems to have hit a snag since Portimao. However, the Italian did make some small steps in Valencia. In Q1 qualifying he set his fastest lap of the weekend with a 1'36.218, yet a crash in FP3 on Saturday morning certainly did not help to boost the ambitious rookie's confidence. In the end, he finished 13th in Q1, which meant 27th overall on row nine. Not an easy starting position, but the 21-year-old is determined to do everything he can to fight his way further to the front in the 25-lap final and leave the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team with a good performance.
1. Raul FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'35.212
2. Xavi VIERGE / SPA / KALEX - 1'35.290 (+0.078)
3. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'35.291 (+0.079)
6. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'35.544 (+0.332)
28. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'36.457 (+1.245)
1. Simone CORSI / ITA / MV AGUSTA - 1'35.155
2. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'35.208 (+0.053)
3. Hafizh SYAHRIN / MAL / NTS - 1'35.270 (+0.115)
13. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'36.218 (+1.063)
1. Simone CORSI / ITA / MV AGUSTA - 1'34.956
2. Celestino VIETTI / ITA / KALEX - 1'35.005 (+0.049)
3. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'35.026 (+0.070)
13. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'35.244 (+0.288)