Schrötter & Alcoba manage to improve on tricky qualifying Saturday
On Saturday of the US weekend in Austin, the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP squad took a hoped-for step with its setup work. In a chaotic qualifying session that followed, Marcel Schrötter placed 13th on the grid with Jeremy Alcoba just two positions behind his teammate on row five.
For two long race weekends, the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP crew struggled with persistent difficulties. The two crews around Schrötter and Alcoba invested many hours of work to finally break the knot on the Saturday of the US Grand Prix.
When you have just 15 minutes to set an absolutely flawless and fast lap, it puts enormous pressure on you. However, the pressure becomes even higher when crashes lead to several yellow flags during this quarter of an hour. For Marcel Schrötter, this qualifying format is a thorn in his side anyway, as the Bavarian impresses more with a strong race pace than with individual strong laps. Therefore, the course of Q2 in Austin was particularly annoying for him, because the 29-year-old wanted to do everything possible to convert the P10 from FP3 and the newfound confidence in his Kalex into an optimal starting position for the race Sunday. Schrötter ultimately finished this extremely chaotic qualifying session in 13th position, but nevertheless sees himself in a good starting position to be able to compete at the front in the 18-lap race.
Just two places further back the Intact GP newcomer Jeremy Alcoba will take his stand. The young Spaniard also showed on this sunny Saturday in Austin that things are going better for him again after he already finished the morning FP3 in P16 and later even made it into the pole position shootout in fourth place of the Q1. The interrupted Q2 subsequently proved to be his undoing as well, although from P15 on row five he has every chance of scoring more championship points.
Sunday's race day at the Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas opens with the Moto2 race at 18:20 (CEST).
1. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 2'09.004
2. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 2'09.021 (+0.017)
3. Aron CANET/ SPA/ KALEX – 2'09.091 (+0.087)
10. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 2'09.856 (+0.852)
15. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 2'10.229 (+1.225)
1. Bo BENDSNEYDER/ NED/ KALEX – 2'09.791
2. Celestino VIETTI / ITA/ KALEX – 2'09.807 (+0.016)
3. Marcos RAMIREZ/ SPA/ MV AUGUSTA – 2'10.154 (+0.363)
4. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 2'10.157 (+0.366)
1. Cameron BEAUBIER/ USA/ KALEX – 2'08.751
2. Celestino VIETTI / ITA/ KALEX – 2'09.091 (+0.340)
3. Aron CANET/ SPA/ KALEX – 2'09.283 (+0.532)
13. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 2'10.069 (+1.318)
15. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 2'10.152 (+1.401)