Sensational comeback by Schrötter on Friday in Qatar & Alcoba starts season opener in P19
There was great joy about Marcel Schrötter's brilliant start for the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team after the ailing veteran finished FP2 as third fastest. Fellow rookie Jeremy Alcoba enters his first Moto2 qualifying Saturday in nineteenth place.
As the sun slowly disappeared on the horizon over the 5.4km Lusail International Circuit, the times decreased noticeably. But not even Marcel Schrötter himself could believe his eyes when he saw his name in third place at the end of FP2.
Handicapped by a recent hand operation, the German veteran did not want to dare make a prediction before the opening weekend in Qatar. But thanks to his fabulous 1'59.276, the 29-year-old moved up to third place behind the Red Bull KTM Ajo duo of Augusto Fernandez and rookie Pedro Acosta, from where only a marginal +0.164s separated him from the leader. Despite lingering pain, Schrötter is confident he can maintain the pace over the weekend.
Meanwhile, teammate Jeremy Alcoba has put a lot of work into the set-up of his Kalex. After optimising the feeling for the front tyre together with his crew on Friday, he will also have to learn to understand the rear tyre in FP3 on Saturday. As in the pre-season test in Portimao, the young Spaniard sets the benchmark with top speed values of 294.2 km/h. With P19 and a 2'00.724, the rookie is 1.612s behind Fernandez.
The first qualifying session of the year begins on Saturday 14:25 German time with Q1, followed by Q2 at 15:50.
1. Augusto Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo) – 2:00.290
2. Jake Dixon (Inde GASGAS Aspar Team) + 0.138
3. Celestino Vietti (Mooney VR46 Racing Team) + 0.195
12. Marcel Schrötter (Liqui Moly Intact GP) + 0.785
20. Jeremy Alcoba (Liqui Moly Intact GP) + 1.755
1. Augusto Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo) - 1:59.112
2. Pedro Acosta (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0,160
3. Marcel Schrötter (Liqui Moly Intact GP) + 0,164
19. Jeremy Alcoba (Liqui Moly Intact GP) + 0,164