Third row in extremely close Aragon-Qualifying
The Dynavolt Intact GP riders Marcel Schrötter and Sandro Cortese scored an 8ht and 9th place on the grid in the Qualifying of the Aragon Grand Prix, with only three tenths behind pole position.
The Qualifying for the 14th race of the 2017 season, which is being held in the arid landscape of Aragon in Spain this weekend, was one of the closest fights of the year.
On Friday you could already see that Marcel Schrötter was doing astonishingly well on track, despite his long injury break and on-going pain in the operated scaphoid of his left wrist. In the last Free Practice on Saturday morning he reduced the gap to the lead to only 0,6 seconds. At this point he was still in 14th position. Right at the beginning of the Qualifying he immediately set a strong time, which kept the 24-year-old in fourth place until ten minutes before the end of the session.
Just when all other riders when out for the last run on a new set of tyres in order to step up the game, Marcel also set a new time but some competitors slipped through with a minimal advantage. The Suter rider ultimately grabbed the 8th starting position with only three tenths off the poles-setter, Miguel Oliveira. The current 15th in the Moto2 Championship ranking is now hoping to remain competitive throughout the length of race distance.
Sandro Cortese was separated by his teammate by less than two hundredths of a second. After having experienced a really strong weekend so far and finishing the Free Practices on Friday and Saturday in fourth, the 27-year-old followed in Qualifying in 9th, only one place behind Marcel. On Sunday, the two Intact GP protagonists will share the third row on the starting grid for the 21 lap long race with the current championship runner-up, Tom Lüthi.
1. Franco MORBIDELLI / ITA / KALEX - 1'54.200
2. Mattia PASINI / ITA / KALEX - 1'54.210 (+0.010)
3. Takaaki NAKAGAMI / JPN / KALEX - 1'54.216 (+0.016)
4. Sandro CORTESE / GER / SUTER - 1'54.295 (+0.095)
14. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / SUTER - 1'54.844 (+0.644)
1. Miguel OLIVEIRA / POR / KTM - 1'53.736
2. Mattia PASINI / ITA / KALEX - 1'53.757 (+0.0219
3. Alex MARQUEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'53.807 (+0.071)
8. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / SUTER - 1'54.053 (+0.317)
9. Sandro CORTESE / GER / SUTER - 1'54.072 (+0.336)