Top-Start for Cortese in Spielberg - painful opening day for Kent
Sandro Cortese switched into his attacking-mode on Friday at the Red Bull Ring and finished ninth with only half a second behind the lead. Danny Kent got kicked off the bike by a crashing competitor in the rainy morning session and hurt himself badly, but the Brit was back on the bike shortly after.
The weekend in Spielberg started off turbulent. Only a few minutes after the first Moto2-practice session of the Austrian GP started, it began to rain quite heavily. Several riders became victims of the wet and slippery asphalt, especially in the first corner.
One of the victims was the replacing rider for Dynavolt Intact GP-Pilot Marcel Schrötter, Danny Kent. Alex Marquez crashed close behind and tore the British rider to the ground. Danny sustained a rather painful hematoma on his bottom and felt pain on his hips and neck. Still, the 23-year-old was back in the saddle of the Intact GP-Suter for the afternoon session to built up a feeling for the 600cc machine. He recently only rode Moto3 bikes and the differences in size, power, tyres and riding style are quite big.
Sandro Cortese kept his head cool with these weather caprioles, even if things did not quite go as planned on his side of the garage. The 27-year-old was supposed to ride the soft tyre option in the only dry session in the sunny afternoon but the tyre warmer was defective so that his crew had to change to the 3-tyre spec. It was all the more remarkable that he finished ninth on the hard compound with just half a second behind the fastest, Franco Morbidelli.
1. Miguel OLIVEIRA / POR / KTM - 1'31.203
2. Dominique AEGERTER / SWI / SUTER - 1'31.361 (+0.158)
3. Franco MORBIDELLI / ITA / KALEX - 1'31.383 (+0.180)
14. Sandro CORTESE / GER / SUTER - 1'32.332 (+1.129)
31. Danny KENT / GBR / SUTER - 1'34.693 (+3.490)
1. Franco MORBIDELLI / ITA / KALEX - 1'30.211
2. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'30.242 (+0.031)
3. Miguel OLIVEIRA / POR / KTM - 1'30.394 (+0.183)
9. Sandro CORTESE / GER / SUTER - 1'30.750 (+0.539)
31. Danny KENT / GBR / SUTER - 1'32.103 (+1.892)