Top start on a wet morning at Misano marred by a difficult FP2
In the wet first free practice session, Tony Arbolino started the second Misano weekend as third fastest, while Marcel Schrötter finished the rainy morning in ninth place. In the afternoon, in tricky mixed conditions, the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP riders then slipped back to 20th and 22nd.
In an autumnal manner, the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli rang in the second MotoGP race weekend of the year at this scenic track near the Adriatic coast. The first Moto2 practice session on Friday morning of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, which took place in the rain, saw Tony Arbolino finish as an excellent third whereas Marcel Schrötter felt just as comfortable in the wet and rounded off the top 9.
In the afternoon, however, the conditions in Misano became way more difficult. On still mostly wet asphalt, both riders of the Memmingen-based racing team started the session on rain tyres, as did the rest of the field. It was only when a narrow dry line formed towards the end that all the riders ventured out onto the track on slicks and produced a firework on the timing sheets as lap times got faster and faster right up to the last second. Unfortunately, the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP duo lost out due to cancelled laps and bad timing, finishing 20th and 22nd.
For Saturday, the Moto2 team is now hoping for dry conditions to give them another chance to fight for a direct entry into Q2 qualifying.
1. Nicolò BULEGA / ITA / KALEX - 1'48.541
2. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'48.604 (+0.063)
3. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'48.864 (+0.323)
9. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'49.289 (+0.748)
1. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'40.930
2. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'41.006 (+0.076)
3. Xavi VIERGE / SPA / KALEX - 1'41.012 (+0.082)
20. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'43.852 (+2.922)
22. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'43.982 (+3.052)