"Exploiting potential" on the final weekend
The LIQUI MOLY Intact GP duo finished the opening day at the Circuit Ricardo Tormo just outside Valencia with noticeable potential under their saddles and so Jeremy Alcoba and Marcel Schrötter will go into the final qualifying day of the season as motivated as ever from P18 and P20 respectively.
For local hero Jeremy Alcoba, it is always something special to roll out of the pit lane in front of his home crowd. His initial nervousness quickly gave way as he focused on tackling the four-kilometer track, which he knows like the back of his hand from his junior and Moto3 days, in a way that made him feel comfortable on his Kalex machine in the windy conditions, especially in the morning. Despite steady improvements and P18, the 20-year-old is convinced that there is more to come in FP3 on Saturday before the final qualifying sessions of the season decide the grid for the final showdown on Sunday.
Marcel Schrötter's feeling on his bike was by no means bad on day one in Valencia, but in the end, he ran out of time after a late tyre change to be able to fully exploit its potential. Especially as he didn't catch the ideal group to achieve an increase his laptime in the slipstream on the comparatively narrow Valencian track, which is popular with fans and riders alike for its stadium character. His 1'36.153 put the German, who makes his final appearance in the Moto2 World Championship this weekend, 1.205 seconds behind the day's fastest Pedro Acosta and just over four tenths off the top eight - a target the 29-year-old will be aiming for in FP3 to directly qualify for Q2.
1. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.979
2. Pedro ACOSTA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'35.206 (+0.227)
3. Cameron BEAUBIER/ USA/ KALEX – 1'35.811 (+0.832)
4. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'36.055 (+1.076)
5. Aron CANET/ SPA/ KALX – 1'36.090 (+ 1.111)
15. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'36.518 (+1.539)
25. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'37.533 (+2.554)
1. Pedro ACOSTA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.948
2. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'35.069 (+0.121)
3. Alonso LOPEZ/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'35.128 (+0.180)
4. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'35.554 (+0.606)
5. Somkiat CHANTRA/ THA/ KALEX – 1'35.571 (+0.623)
18. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'36.105 (+1.157)
20. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'36.153 (+1.205)