Giving it their all one last time in Valencia
For the final race Sunday of the season, the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team's rider pairing of Jeremy Alcoba and Marcel Schrötter qualified on grid positions 18 on row 6 and P22 on row 8. Yet another challenge for the dedicated duo, who will be competing in this constellation for the very last time.
After a successful start on yesterday's Friday, rookie Jeremy Alcoba managed to improve further on Saturday morning and made it directly into Q2 with a strong twelfth place and a 1'35.260. The Spaniard had certainly hoped for more in the sunny afternoon. The 20-year-old secured P18 and will start his final home GP of the year from the sixth row of the grid on Sunday. From there, after working hard with his crew and with the support of his fans, he hopes to complete one last successful race for the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team.
For the only German rider in the Moto2 class, Marcel Schrötter, things took a step forward in FP3, but the 29-year-old narrowly missed out on making it directly into Q2, finishing sixteenth and just 0.083s short of P14. When the 25°C warm Q1 got underway for 15 minutes, he was well in the running for the top four positions at the beginning. But in the end, he lost the necessary tenths, especially in the last sector, so that four competitors were able to get in front of him. Tomorrow, Sunday, Schrötter will have one last dance in the Grand Prix World Championship. Despite all the sentimentality, he wants to give himself and his team an unforgettable farewell and hopes to leave the Moto2 stage with a solid points result.
Either way, the fans on-site and at home can expect a superlative showdown that should not be missed when the lights go out for the last time in the 2022 season at 12:20 (CET) and the world championship title is decided.
1. Pedro ACOSTA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.592
2. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.658 (+0.066)
3. Aron CANET/ SPA/ KALX – 1'34.664 (+0.072)
4. Alonso LOPEZ/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'34.786 (+0.194)
5. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'34.953 (+0.361)
12. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'35.260 (+0.668)
16. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'35.360 (+0.768)
1. Celestino VIETTI/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'34.758
2. Tony ARBOLINO/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'34.782 (+0.024)
3. Manuel GONZALEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.946 (+0.188)
4. Joe ROBERTS/ USA/ KALEX – 1'34.956 (+0.198)
5. Senna AGIUS/ AUS/ KALEX – 1'35.076 (+0.318)
8. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'35.165 (+0.407)
1. Alonso LOPEZ/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'34.314
2. Pedro ACOSTA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.315 (+0.001)
3. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.481 (+0.167)
4. Tony ARBOLINO/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'34.583 (+0.269)
5. Ai OGURA/ JPN/ KALEX – 1'34.665 (+0.351)
18. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'35.258 (+0.9449)