Rows three and four after the tyre-gamble of Brno
The qualifying for the Grand Prix of Czech Republic turned into a true gamble on the drying track and concluded in a seventh starting position for Marcel Schrötter and 12th for Tom Lüthi for tomorrow’s race.
Already the morning session at the Automotodrom in Brno was dominated by spiteful mixed conditions on Saturday. Nevertheless at that time of the day the Moto2-riders still had more time to find the right moment to change into slick tyres. Marcel Schrötter felt comfortable and started in fourth position into the day, whilst Tom Lüthi prepared for the qualifying and tomorrow’s race during this session on old tyres. The Swiss, on seventh position of the combined standings of the free practices, had his spot in Q2 already safe; therefore he was not concerned about his 21st position in FP3.
The crews of the Dynavolt Intact GP team stayed calm and focused ahead of the upcoming qualifying. But the weather eventually changed the session to a poker game. Still wet from a rain shower, the tarmac dried off slowly. Both riders of the racing squad from Memmingen in Germany and also the rest of the field therefore started the 15-minutes-session on rain-tyres. The decision to change onto slick-tyres and to return to the pit box should have been made after the first or latest second flying lap. But Marcel Schrötter as well as Tom Lüthi decided not to risk anything, as the ideal line and also the last chicane still displayed quite some wet patches.
Only the first four riders, headed by championship-leader Alex Marquez, changed onto slick-tyres and eventually rode to success. Marcel Schrötter, who was holding the provisional pole position until one minute before the end of the session, had to be content with seventh starting position in row three, whilst Tom Lüthi will need to try to defend his currently second placement in the championship, starting from grid row four on Sunday.
1. Nicolo BULEGA / ITA / KALEX - 2'01.747
2. Lorenzo BALDASSARRI / ITA / KALEX - 2'01.791 (+0.044)
3. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX 2'01.912 (+0.165)
4. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX 2'01.982 (+0.235)
21. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 2'02.908 (+1.161)
1. Alex MARQUEZ / SPA / KALEX - 2'06.787
2. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 2'08.805 (+2.018)
3. Lorenzo BALDASSARRI / ITA / KALEX - 2'10.766 (+3.979)
7. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 2'12.424 (+5.637)
12. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 2'13.483 (+6.696)