Schrötter and Lüthi make a strong start to the Brno weekend
Dynavolt Intact GP riders Marcel Schrötter and Tom Lüthi have already made good progress with their work on Friday and made a promising start into the first weekend of the second half of the season with places four and six after the summer break.
The soft or the hard tyre? That was the question on day one of the Czech Grand Prix in Brno. The soft specification soon turned out to be the definitely faster one, at least on the first laps. Now it's time to assure a high performance on the race distance as well.
Marcel Schrötter already had to learn during the first free practice how big the difference between the tyre specifications is. The 26-year-old was one of very few riders to complete the entire morning session with the hard tyre. But he did not let himself be put off by a 22nd place and took the lead in the early stages of the afternoon practice with a 1.8-second increase as soons as he was out on the soft tyre and finally finished two-tenths behind the top in fourth position.
Tom Lüthi already did well in the morning with fifth place, but when he begun the second practice in the afternoon on the used tyre he had to find out that there are also clear differences between new and old tyres. He mainly worked on the race distance during the first part of the 40-minute session and finally started a time hunt with a fresh set of tyres in order to not to lose his place in Q2 qualifying, because according to the weather forecast, the probability of a wet last free practice on tomorrow's Saturday is high. With his last lap of 2'01.902, the Swiss eventually secured sixth place, just 0.017 seconds behind his team-mate.
1. Tetsuta NAGASHIMA / JPN / KALEX - 2'02.080
2. Brad BINDER / RSA / KTM - 2'02.140 (+0.060)
3. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 2'02.141 (+0.061)
5. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 2'02.590 (+0.510)
22. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 2'03.642 (+1.562)
1. Fabio DI GIANNANTONIO / ITA / SPEED UP - 2'01.695
2. Nicolo BULEGA / ITA / KALEX - 2'01.730 (+0.035)
3. Tetsuta NAGASHIMA / JPN / KALEX - 2'01.758 (+0.063)
4. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 2'01.885 (+0.190)
6. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 2'01.902 (+0.207)