Schrötter in fourth on Friday in Assen & Lüthi in sixth
The practices at the TT Circuit in Assen started with extremely tight gaps. Marcel Schrötter was able to finish the opening day in the Netherlands in fourth position, whilst Tom Lüthi finished in sixth, just some thousands of a second behind.
After a chilly Thursday on the Dutch racetrack, which is located about 160 kilometres northeast of Amsterdam, the sun was back just in time for the first free practice of the TT Grand Prix of Assen and provided temperatures up to 23°C.
It was an unusual tight Friday for the Moto2-class. Until the 20th position the gap on this afternoon only was eight tenths and therefore less than a second. Marcel Schrötter, who still had to fight with his confidence with the bike during the morning, but still finished in tenths position with only two tenths of a second disadvantage, was able to make a good step forward during the second session. He felt much more comfortable on his Kalex bike after a big change to the setup and placed himself in fourth position with a time of 1’37.685.
Just 0.009 seconds behind followed teammate Tom Lüthi in sixth position. But the Swiss was not satisfied at 100%, as he had to ride at the limit quite a lot to achieve his lap time of 1’37.694. The championship-second will sit down with his crew now to get more stability into his bike, which is still too nervous at the moment, and to work towards the race on Sunday, in which he will have to be constantly fast.
1. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 1'38.151
2. Lorenzo BALDASSARRI / ITA / KALEX - 1'38.157 (+0.006)
3. Jonas FOLGER / GER / KALEX - 1'38.199 (+0.048)
6. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'38.289 (+0.138)
10. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'38.388 (+0.237)
1. Brad BINDER / RSA / KTM - 1'37.398
2. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'37.530 (+0.132)
3. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 1'37.592 (+0.194)
4. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'37.685 (+0.287)
6. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'37.694 (+0.296)