To tackle the Dutch TT-Grand-Prix from rows three and four
In a hot qualifying for the Grand Prix of the Netherlands Tom Lüthi and Marcel Schrötter achieved the grid positions eight and 12 respectively.
To get back into the first row of the grid for a fourth successive time, Tom Lüthi had pushed to the limit today at the TT Circuit in Assen. After he achieved a best time of 1’37.078 already in his third lap and placed himself in third position, he had a heart-stopping moment and just avoided to crash. The Swiss came for a short stop into pit lane and prepared for the final attack, but unfortunately it was not enough to improve his time.
Tom Lüthi slid back to eighth position and will start tomorrow’s race from third row. In the Warm-up on Sunday morning he and his technicians will then make the final fine adjustments and try everything in tomorrow's TT Assen to minimize the disadvantage of seven points he is holding towards championship leader Alex Marquez.
As fourth fastest Marcel Schrötter finished the free practice sessions and had high expectations for the following Q2 qualifying. The 26-year-old has already been on row one four times this season, three of which he secured the pole position. But in the 15-minute session on a summer day in Assen it just wasn't supposed to fit together. Although the Bavarian decided this time against a pit stop in order not to lose the flow, a few mistakes ruined a better final position.
Like two weeks ago in Barcelona, Marcel Schrötter will start the 24-lap race, which is scheduled for Sunday, from 12th position in the fourth row of the grid. One week before the home Grand Prix on the Sachsenring circuit he will do his best to deliver a great show and catch up as many places as possible.
1. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'36.510
2. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'37.105 (+0.595)
3. Jorge MARTIN / SPA / KTM - 1'37.148 (+0.638)
4. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'37.152 (+0.642)
6. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'37.342 (+0.832)
1. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'36.572
2. Brad BINDER / RSA / KTM - 1'36.682 (+0.110)
3. Xavi VIERGE / SPA / KALEX - 1'36.716 (+0.144)
8. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'37.078 (+0.506)
12. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'37.233 (+0.661)