Alcoba & Schrötter celebrate top 10 results at the season finale
In bright sunshine and in front of a full house, it was lights out, fight mode on for one last time this season. A mantra that both Jeremy Alcoba and Marcel Schrötterinternalized and implemented for their farewell round from the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team, as coming from P18 and P22 respectively, both delivered a brilliant finish with P8 and P10 in the grand finale at Valencia.
Marcel Schrötter produced an impressive recovery today, Sunday, as the German veteran fought his way to the front within a few laps, latching onto his teammate's rear and making up position after position. Even as the gaps to the front widened, the 29-year-old managed his tenth position with everything at his disposal. It was an emotional weekend for Schrötter, who will leave the team after six years and take on new challenges in the Supersport World Championship.
With 123.5 points in the 2022 season, he ranks eleventh in the World Championship and can look back with pride on many career highlights. Among them his 3rd place at the Sachsenring in 2019, where he was celebrated by his fans as the winner of hearts. In six years together, he and the Memmingen racing team have scored 14 front-row starts, 3 pole positions, and 5 podiums! The team now has to let go of a family member, but with best wishes and good luck for his future career!
The rookie of the German racing team delivered a bit of a parade on this 20th race weekend, as with each session completed, Jeremy Alcoba increased his pace, which eventually helped him to make up an incredible ten positions on his grid position in the 25-lap race. This was despite the fact that the Valencian track offers very few overtaking opportunities and a collision between the Spaniard and Mattia Pasini on lap 19, which resulted in a long-lap penalty for the impetuous Alcoba. However, the 20-year-old was not pushed back by this, as his lead over the chasers was large enough and so he ended his first Moto2 season in 18th position in the world rankings with a brilliant eighth place and can also celebrate winning the Triumph Triple Trophy.
The LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team would also like to thank Jeremy Alcoba for the trust, the work he has done, and the team spirit he has shown during a season that was at times more difficult than we had hoped and wish him all the best for the future.
Thanks to Marcel, Jeremy, and the entire team as well as all sponsors and fans for their support!
1. Pedro ACOSTA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'35.133
2. Alonso LOPEZ/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'35.212 (+0.079)
3. Aron CANET/ SPA/ KALX – 1'35.236 (+0.103)
4. Fermín ALDEGUER/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'35.241 (+0.108)
5. Manuel GONZALEZ SPA/ KALEX – 1'35.566 (+0.433)
19. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'36.373 (+1.240)
20. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'36.432 (+1.299)
1. Pedro ACOSTA/ SPA/ KALEX
2. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – (+1.232)
3. Tony ARBOLINO/ ITA/ KALEX – (+10.163)
4. Fermín ALDEGUER/ SPA / BOSCOSCURO – (+14.407)
5. Albert ARENAS/ SPA/ KALEX – (+18.904)
8. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – (+25.868)
10. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – (+35.117)
1. FERNANDEZ Augusto / SPA / 271,5
2. OGURA Ai / JPN / 242
3. CANET Aron / SPA / 200
4. ARBOLINO Tony / ITA / 191,5
5. ACOSTA Pedro / SPA / 177
6. DIXON Jake/ GBR/ 168,5
7. VIETTI Celestino / ITA / 165
8. LOPEZ Alonso/ SPA/ 155,5
9. ROBERTS Joe / USA / 131
10. CHANTRA Somkiat / THA / 128
11. SCHRÖTTER Marcel / GER / 123,5
18. ALCOBA Jeremy/ SPA/ 72
1. RED BULL KTM AJO / 448,5
2. IDEMITSU HONDA TEAM ASIA / 370
3. FLEXBOX HP40 / 287
4. INDE GASGAS ASPAR TEAM / 258,5
5. ELF MARC VDS RACING TEAM / 253,5
6. BETA TOOLS SPEED UP/ 242,5
7. LIQUI MOLY INTACT GP / 195,5
8. MOONEY VR46 RACING TEAM / 165
9. ITALTRANS RACING TEAM / 152
10.PERTAMINA MANDALIKA SAG TEAM / 96,5