Darryn Binder "happy" with eleventh place on the grid in Argentina
LIQUI MOLY Husqvarna Intact GP Moto2 rookie Darryn Binder made the leap from Q1 to Q2 and from there again to eleventh on row four for only the second Moto2 race of his career.
The onset of rain on Saturday morning initially ruined the South African's practice plans, so Darryn Binder had to start in Qualifying 1 first. With bravura, the Moto2 rookie moved into first place and had thus once again mastered the leap into the fiercely contested Q2.
The 25-year-old got everything out of his Kalex in the last 15 minutes of the day and secured eleventh place on the grid for the second time in a row. With every minute on his new bike, the former MotoGP rider continues to learn and will use this knowledge on Sunday to eradicate the small mistakes from the first race and make it difficult for his rivals in the 21-lap race, which starts at 17:15 (CEST).
Practice Sessions (combined)
1. Tony ARBOLINO/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'43.172
2. Filip SALAC/ CZE/ KALEX – 1'43.238 (+0.066)
3. Pedro ACOSTA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'43.252 (+0.080)
18. Darryn BINDER/ RSA/ KALEX – 1'44.329 (+1.157)
1. Darryn BINDER/ RSA/ KALEX – 1'43.404
2. Celestino VIETTI/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'43.415 (+0.011)
3. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'43.681 (+0.277)
1. Alonso LOPEZ/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'42.472
2. Aron CANET/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'42.513 (+0.041)
3. Somkiat CHANTRA/ THA/ KALEX – 1'42.520 (+0.048)
11. Darryn BINDER/ RSA/ KALEX – 1'43.032 (+0.560)