Schrötter brings LIQUI MOLY Intact GP top 5 success in Catalunya, Alcoba P18
Bright sunshine, thousands of fans and 22 laps of action-packed racing formed the perfect recipe for the ninth Grand Prix of the Moto2 season in Barcelona, which Marcel Schrötter of the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team crowned with his second top 5 result of 2022, while rookie Jeremy Alcoba finished his home GP race in P18.
In the morning warm-up session, Marcel Schrötter showed impressively with P2 that he had to be counted among the favourites at the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya. However, under the increasingly hot temperatures, it became a battle on the last groove for the German, who started the race from the ninth position on the grid.
Thanks to his solid start, Schrötter was in the leading group until shortly before the end, which had reformed after Joe Roberts had crashed out of the lead. The small gap of 1.470s to the race winner Celestino Vietti was extremely positive, as the 29-year-old had never been so close to victory in a race in 2022. A performance to build on at his home Grand Prix at the Sachsenring in a fortnight's time.
Less euphoric about the race on the demanding Barcelona circuit is team-mate Jeremy Alcoba, who was 18th in a group that only lost touch with the point positions in the last half of the race. The gap to the man in front, Barry Baltus, shrank with every lap, but in the end, it was not enough for a final attack.
However, the 20-year-old's pace was again rather positive as his lap times in the race were in the same range as those of opponents who have already been at the top of the podium this season. As always, the rookie is taking a lot with him to push his learning curve further up on the Kalex.
After the two consecutive races in Mugello and Barcelona, the two LIQUI MOLY Intact GP riders, who lie in P7 and P16 in the world championship rankings, now have a week to recharge their batteries and prepare for the German Grand Prix from 17th - 19th of June 2022 at the legendary Sachsenring, the home Grand Prix of their racing team based in Memmingen, Bavaria.
1. Aron CANET/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'44.179
2. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'44.302 (+0.123)
3. Sam LOWES/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'44.462 (+0.283)
4. Alonso LOPEZ/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'44.572 (+0.393)
5. Celestino VIETTI/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'44.684 (+0.505)
21. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'45.361 (+1.182)
1. Celestino VIETTI/ ITA/ KALEX
2. Aron CANET/ SPA/ KALEX – (+0.081)
3. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – (+0.522)
4. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – (+0.646)
5. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – (+1.470)
18. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – (+22.513)
1. VIETTI Celestino / ITA / 133
2. OGURA Ai / JPN / 117
3. CANET Aron / SPA / 109
4. FERNANDEZ Augusto / SPA / 96
5. ARBOLINO Tony / ITA / 89
6. ROBERTS Joe / USA / 86
7. SCHROTTER Marcel / GER / 75
8. CHANTRA Somkiat / THA / 65
9. NAVARRO Jorge / SPA / 58
10. ACOSTA Pedro / SPA / 55
16. ALCOBA Jeremy/ SPA/ 31
1. IDEMITSU HONDA TEAM ASIA / 182
2. FLEXBOX HP40 / 167
3. RED BULL KTM AJO / 151
4. MOONEY VR46 RACING TEAM / 133
5. ELF MARC VDS RACING TEAM / 124
6. LIQUI MOLY INTACT GP / 106
7. ITALTRANS RACING TEAM / 96
8. INDE GASGAS ASPAR TEAM / 90
9. PERTAMINA MANDALIKA SAG TEAM / 50
10.LIGHTTECH SPEED UP / 44