Veijer & Sasaki line up on rows 1 and 2 in Malaysia
The LIQUI MOLY Husqvarna Intact GP Moto3 duo take up positions at the front of the grid for the Malaysian Grand Prix after rookie Collin Veijer secured a strong second place behind world championship leader Jaume Masia, who Ayumu Sasaki will target and chase from fifth position on his title mission.
Once again, the young Dutchman Collin Veijer shone bright in the tropical heat in Qualifying 2 after emerging fastest from Q1. If, after a somewhat difficult Friday, one thought that the 18-year-old might find it harder than usual to familiarise himself with a new track like the 5.54 km long Sepang International Circuit, you were proved wrong today. With targeted work and visible improvements, Veijer got everything he needed to be able to confidently set fast times in qualifying on Saturday afternoon. Even though the youngster lost 0.906s to Jaume Masia's high-speed pole, he is in the best possible position to not only fight for his second podium result in the 15-lap race on Sunday but also to support his team-mate on his title mission.
Ayumu Sasaki, for his part, will start from fifth on the grid in pursuit of title rival Jaume Masia after a small slide in Q2 thwarted a further attack. The Japanese rider has always been within striking distance of the frontrunners throughout the weekend so far, while he has worked specifically on his Husqvarna and made the necessary set-up improvements that make him very confident for the race. After the no-fault crash in Thailand, the 23-year-old is extremely keen to reduce his 17-point deficit to the maximum possible number before the final races of the season.
1. Jaume MASIA/ SPA/ HONDA – 2'12.065
2. Deniz ÖNCÜ/ TUR/ KTM – 2'12.500 (+0.435)
3. Romano FENATI/ ITA/ HONDA – 2'12.580 (+0.515)
8. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 2'13.374 (+2'13.374)
25.Collin VEIJER/ NED/ HUSQVARNA – 2'14.327 (+2.262)
1. Taiyo FURUSATO JPN/ HONDA – 2'12.518
2. David ALONSO/ SPA/ GASGAS – 2'12.555 (+0.037)
3. Matteo BERTELLE/ ITA/ HONDA – 2'12.570 (+0.052)
6. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 2'12.662 (+0.144)
21.Collin VEIJER/ NED/ HUSQVARNA – 2'13.788 (+1.270)
1. Daniel HOLGADO/ SPA/ KTM – 2'11.139
2. Deniz ÖNCÜ/ TUR/ KTM – 2'11.364 (+0.225)
3. Jaume MASIA/ SPA/ HONDA – 2'11.573 (+0.434)
4. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 2'11.753 (+0.614)
17.Collin VEIJER/ NED/ HUSQVARNA – 2'12.458 (+1.319)
1. Jaume MASIA/ SPA/ HONDA – 2'10.846
2. Collin VEIJER/ NED/ HUSQVARNA – 2'11.752 (+0.906)
3. Matteo BERTELLE/ ITA/ HONDA – 2'11.778 (+0.932)
5. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 2'12.002 (+1.156)