Dominique Aegerter starts into his first Matchball weekend from P5
The next two races in the 2022 FIM Enel MotoE World Cup could already be title-deciding for Dynavolt Intact GP rider Dominique Aegerter. But the Swiss is certainly not taking the easy way after a tricky qualifying day and P5 on the grid for the Austrian Grand Prix in Spielberg.
"A little bit of excitement is a must" - at least that seems to be the Swiss mantra after he took fifth place in qualifying for the Austrian Grand Prix, meaning he will start outside the front row for only the second time this season. Earlier, however, the conditions at the 4.3km redesigned Red Bull Ring were mixed for FP1 and FP2, with a soaking wet track greeting the MotoE riders in the morning after rain battered the Styrian mountains both in the evening and early morning.
Looking at the times from FP1 and FP2, you can see in Aegerter's case that they dropped by an incredible 9.426s from one session to the other, which meant second place ahead of Q2 thanks to his 1'42.060 in FP2. Meanwhile, in the fiercely contested qualifying session itself, the German Dynavolt Intact GP Team rider came within 0.252s of Eric Granado's fastest time.
Can the 31-year-old get off to a rocket start for the first of two 6-lap sprint races this weekend and quickly close in on pole-sitter and closest title rival Eric Granado to put him under pressure? Only the race start will tell at 16:25 (CEST)...
1. Mattia CASADEI/ ITA – 1'49.203
2. Niccolo CANEPA/ ITA – 1'49.837 (+0.634)
3. Eric GRANADO/ BRA – 1'50.190 (+0.987)
4. Matteo FERRARI/ ITA – 1'50.286 (+1.083)
5. Miquel PONS/ SPA – 1'50.636 (+1.433)
8. Dominique AEGERTER/ SWI – 1'51.486 (+2.283)
1. Mattia CASADEI/ ITA – 1'41.720
2. Dominique AEGERTER/ SWI – 1'42.060 (+0.340)
3. Eric GRANADO/ BRA – 1'42.175 (+0.455)
1. Eric GRANADO/ BRA – 1'41.390
2. Mattia CASADEI/ ITA – 1'41.530 (+0.140)
3. Matteo FERRARI/ ITA – 1'41.569 (+0.179)
4. Kevin ZANNONI/ ITS – 1'41.596 (+0.206)
5. Dominique AEGERTER/ SWI – 1'41.642 (+0.252)