Binder secures 4th row on grid & season opener ended prematurely for Tulovic
On Saturday's qualifying session Darryn Binder made a perfect start to his Moto2 rookie season with 11th position on the grid, while Lukas Tulovic unfortunately had to end his weekend in Portimao early due to injury.
In 17th place on Saturday morning, Darryn Binder missed out on direct entry into Q2 by a small gap after a small slip in P3 ruined his fastest lap. He then made up for it brilliantly in the early afternoon by being one of the top 4 riders in Q1 to get his ticket for the second qualifying session, which decides the top six rows of the grid. With a pit stop halfway through the short time chase, the South African eventually raced to 11th place in his first qualifying session in the Moto2 class, putting him on row four!
Teammate Lukas Tulovic on the other hand had to call it a day on his long-awaited first Moto2 race weekend of the season. After Friday's practice sessions for the Portugal GP, the 22-year-old again struggled with severe pain in his right hand. An MRI scan today at the Hospital do Algarve in Alvor revealed oedema in the metacarpal bone as well as in the area around the bone, which he contracted due to the heavy crash at the Portimao test last Saturday. As a result, with a heavy heart Lukas will not only have to miss this weekend, but also the Argentinean Grand Prix. The LIQUI MOLY Husqvarna Intact GP team wishes him a speedy recovery!
1. Aron CANET / SPA / KALEX - 1'42.003
2. Filip SALAC / CZE / KALEX - 1'42.089 (+0.086)
3. Pedro ACOSTA / SPA / KALEX - 1'42.128 (+0.125)
17. Darryn BINDER / RSA / KALEX - 1'42.889 (+0.886)
1. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'42.965
2. Zonta VD GOORBERGH / NED / KALEX - 1'43.084 (+0.119)
3. Jeremy ALCOBA / SPA / KALEX - 1'43.374 (+0.409)
4. Darryn BINDER / RSA / KALEX - 1'43.386 (+0.421)
1. Filip SALAC / CZE / KALEX - 1'42.323
2. Aron CANET / SPA / KALEX - 1'42.381 (+0.058)
3. Pedro ACOSTA / SPA / KALEX - 1'42.607 (+0.284)
11. Darryn BINDER / RSA / KALEX - 1'43.041 (+0.718)