Row 1 fires up podium hopes for Sasaki, Veijer P16
On the second day of the Italian Grand Prix at Mugello, LIQUI MOLY Husqvarna Intact GP Team's Ayumu Sasaki created all the right conditions for a successful race with a front-row start, while fellow rookie Collin Veijer will be right in grabs for the points with 16th on the grid.
It was another sweaty set of sessions at the 5.245km Mugello circuit, but for the Japanese rider, Ayumu Sasaki, it's been a run according to plan since Friday, as the 22-year-old has been inside the top three in every session held so far, including Qualifying 2, which he initially finished in third behind Deniz Öncü and Joel Kelso, who had earlier made the jump from Q1. However, a penalty moved Kelso back in the grid, allowing the experienced Sasaki to take second place on the grid.
Progressing out of Q1 is something rookie Collin Veiejer failed to do in the last instance after being within the required top 4 for much of the Q1. At the end of the session, the determined Dutchman lined up in ninth position, which meant 16th on the grid on row 6. The 18-year-old certainly hoped for more but knows that the cards will be reshuffled in the race, which starts on Sunday at 11:00 (CEST).
Points are within reach for both riders of the German racing team - can they fulfill their high expectations in the energy-sapping and tyre-wearing 17 laps?
1. Deniz ÖNCÜ/ TUR/ KTM – 1'56.947
2. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 1'57.481 (+0.534)
3. Tatsuki SUZUKI/ JAP/ HONDA - 1'57.693 (+0.746)
25.Collin VEIJER/ NED/ HUSQVARNA – 2'00.005 (+3.058)
1. Deniz ÖNCÜ/ TUR/ KTM – 1'56.485
2. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 1'56.974 (0.489)
3. Jaume MASIA/ SPA/ HONDA – 1'57.054 (+0.569)
28.Collin VEIJER/ NED/ HUSQVARNA – 1'59.399 (+2.914)
1. Deniz ÖNCÜ/ TUR/ KTM – 1'56.175
2. Diogo MOREIRA/ BRA/ KTM – 1'56.542 (+0.367)
3. Daniel HOLGADO/ SPA/ KTM – 1'56.691 (+0.516)
4. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 1'56.708 (+0.533)
25. Collin VEIJER/ NED/ HUSQVARNA – 1'59.598 (+3.423)
1. Joel KELSO/ AUS/ CFMOTO – 1'57.282
2. Taiyo FURUSATO/ JAP/ HONNDA – 1'57.314 (+0.032)
3. Stefano NEPA/ ITA/ KTM – 1'57.357 (+0.075)
9. Collin VEIJER/ NED/ HUSQVARNA – 1'57.861 (+0.579)
1. Deniz ÖNCÜ/ TUR/ KTM – 1'56.020
2. Joel KELSO/ AUS/ CFMOTO – 1'56.558 (+0.538)
3. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 1'56.611 (0.591)