Sasaki misses Misano pole by 0.243s, Veijer with top 10 grid position
It was impressive what the LIQUI MOLY Husqvarna Intact GP team's Moto3 riders showed in qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix at the Misano World Circuit, as Ayumu Sasaki grabbed second place on the grid despite a minor crash, while rookie Collin Veijer will lead the fourth row into the twelfth race of the season from 10th position with an injured foot.
Behind Ayumu Sasaki lies a nerve-wracking Saturday. In the morning, in the third practice, the Japanese slipped from his until then second position to 12th, but still stood safely in Q2, where he had a small slide at the beginning of the 15-minute session. With time ticking down, his crew got him back on track after a quick check-up, where he returned to second place thanks to a 1'41.881, just 0.243s behind pole-sitter Jaume Masia. The 22-year-old hopes to make further progress before the race at 11:00 (CEST) to fight for his first win of the season.
Youngster Collin Vejjer has impressed since getting back on his Husqvarna on Friday. It was only a week ago that the young Dutchman suffered multiple fractures to his left foot in Barcelona qualifying. Through clenched teeth, the 18-year-old improved so well over the three practice sessions in total that he went straight into Q2 vying for a hopeful grid spot for Sunday's 20-lap race. Veijer eventually secured the tenth place on the grid as the leader of the fourth row.
The LIQUI MOLY Husqvarna Intact GP duo are now focusing solely on the world championship points up for grabs and hope to be able to assert themselves in the world championship once again.
1. Jaume MASIA/ SPA/ HONDA – 1'42.323
2. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 1'42.619 (+0.296)
3. Tatsuki SUZUKI/ JAP/ HONDA – 1'42.627 (+0.304)
19. Collin VEIJER/ NED/ HUSQVARNA – 1'43.710 (+1.387)
1. Jaume MASIA/ SPA/ HONDA – 1'42.154
2. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 1'42.229 (+0.075)
3. Deniz ÖNCÜ/ TUR/ KTM – 1'42.283 (+0.129)
11. Collin VEIJER/ NED/ HUSQVARNA – 1'42.735 (+0.581)
1. Deniz ÖNCÜ/ TUR/ KTM – 1'41.614
2. Jaume MASIA/ SPA/ HONDA – 1'41.655 (+0.041)
3. David ALONSO/SPA/GASGAS – 1'41.845 (+0.231)
11. Collin VEIJER/ NED/ HUSQVARNA – 1'41.998 (+0.384)
12. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 1'42.091 (+0.477)
1. Jaume MASIA/ SPA/ HONDA – 1'41.638
2. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 1'41.881 (+0.243)
3. Kaito TOBA/ JAP/ HONDA – 1'41.900 (+0.262)
10. Collin VEIJER/ NED/ HUSQVARNA – 1'42.234 (+0.596)