Only 0.312s separate Marcel Schrötter in P8 from Austria pole
After excellent improvements in qualifying, the two LIQUI MOLY Intact GP riders Marcel Schrötter and Jeremy Alcoba will contest the Austrian Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg with great confidence from positions 8 and 19.
There is no more satisfying feeling than hard work and the will to succeed paying off. This was the case for Marcel Schrötter, who, after a semi-satisfying FP3, which he only finished in P21, then superbly mastered the jump from Q1 to Q2. He and his Intact GP crew had their heads spinning before the decisive first qualifying session, and with success, the 29-year-old quickly found his rhythm in Q1 and came out of this 15-minute shoot-out in second place. A little later, the German even went faster, but in a qualifying session where a blink of an eye of 0.312s decides between pole or P8, it is obvious that absolutely anything will still be possible in the race. Eighth on the grid will be particularly important for the new twisty starting passage of the Red Bull Ring, in order not to lose the connection on the otherwise less twisty track.
0.084s - That's all that separated Jeremy Alcoba in Q1 from making it into the fiercely contested Q2. Although there was disappointment at first, the Moto2 rookie knows that with his race pace proven many times, there is nothing he can do better than switching into fighting mode on Sunday. The 20-year-old confirmed after the exceedingly close qualifying session that he has a great feeling on his Kalex and sees his chance in the race. Coming from 19th on the grid, the ambitious Alcoba is particularly keen to use the starting chicane to stalk up some more championship points.
When the lights go out for the 13th Moto2 race of the season at 12:20 (CEST), both riders from the German LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team have only one goal: points and as many of them as possible.
1. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'34.016
2. Ai OGURA/ JAP/ KALEX – 1'34.021 (+0.005)
3. Albert ARENAS/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.097 (+0.081)
4. Lorenzo DALLA PORTA/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'34.149 (+0.133)
5. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.182 (+0.166)
18. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.757 (+0.741)
21. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'34.794 (+0.778)
1. Cameron BEAUBIER/ USA/ KALEX – 1'34.310
2. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'34.325 (+0.015)
3. Fermín ALDEGUER/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'34.523 (+0.213)
4. Bo BENDSNEYDER/ NED/ KALEX – 1'34.535 (+0.225)
5. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.619 (+0.309)
1. Ai OGURA/ JAP/ KALEX – 1'33.933
2. Alonso LOPEZ/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'33.981 (+0.048)
3. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.101 (+0.168)
4. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'34.104 (+0.171)
5. Somkiat CHANTRA/ THA/ KALEX – 1'34.105 (+0.172)
8. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'34.245 (+0.312)
19. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.619 (Q1)