Dominique Aegerter snatches first MotoE pole of the season at Mugello
No matter which MotoE session of the opening day at the Grand Premio d'Italia, it was always Dynavolt Intact GP - rider Dominique Aegerter as the beaming leader at the top. Thanks to his best times in FP1, FP2 and Q2, the Swiss rider will start the two races of the weekend from pole position.
Things couldn't have gone better for the Swiss at the Autodromo Internazionale del Mugello on this jam-packed practice and qualifying Friday. The 31-year-old proved in both free practices that his pace is strongest towards the end. Certainly an aspect that will play into his cards in close duels on the final metres. The 5.2 km long Tuscan track is definitely very demanding, even with comparatively few laps, because the heavy Energica Ego Corsa machines require a lot of physical effort from their tamers. But if anyone is 100% top fit, it's Dominique Aegerter.
Pole is certainly the best starting position to defend his Cup lead beyond this third race weekend, but with only 0.268s ahead of Italian Kevin Zannoni and a little more on Mattia Casadei, the two six-lap races promise to be phenomenal once again. The excitement could be further heightened by predicted rain on Saturday, but whether it will cause a furore at 16:15 (CEST) remains to be seen.
1. Dominique AEGERTER/ SWI – 2'00.590
2. Eric GRANADO/ BRA – 2'00.998 (+0.408)
3. Kevin ZANNONI/ ITA – 2'01.034 (+0.444)
1. Dominique AEGERTER/ SWI – 1'59.739
2. Eric GRANADO/ BRA – 1'59.832 (+0.093)
3. Miquel PONS/ SPA – 2'00.057 (+0.318)
1. Dominique AEGERTER/ SWI – 1'59.205
2. Kevin ZANNONI/ ITA – 1'59.473 (+0.268)
3. Mattia CASADEI/ ITA – 1'59.535 (+0.330)