Promising P7 Sachsenring start for Marcel Schrötter, Alcoba P26
The Sachsenring, Germany's legendary racetrack, has come to life again, as thousands and thousands of fans watched Marcel Schrötter make a very successful start on Friday with P7, while rookie team-mate Jeremy Alcoba had to master the challenge of the traditional curvy circuit on a Moto2 bike for the first time.
For the only German Moto2 rider it was a perfect start to the weekend. Already in FP1, Marcel Schrötter showed that he can be a front runner, after he led the top speed values with 257.7km/h in the first, cooler session of the day, despite being one of the few riders on the track who did not change to new tyres in FP1. The Bavarian finished this first session in a solid eleventh place, 0.997s behind Augusto Fernandez, who ultimately won Friday's sessions. Meanwhile, the 25°C air temperature in FP2 was only a harbinger of what to expect in terms of temperature over the next two days. But the 29-year-old is confident that he will be able to maintain his pace when the 30°C mark will be broken on Saturday. His clear target are the first two rows of the grid to have every chance of a successful finish to the German GP on Sunday, which will be held with fans for the first time since 2019.
Today's Friday, on the other hand, went less smoothly for Moto2 newcomer Jeremy Alcoba, who was not yet able to develop an ideal feeling for his Kalex. The young Spaniard finished the morning session in 23rd place, which he, unfortunately, could not improve in FP2 after finishing the second practice session in 26th place. The rookie hopes to be able to take a good direction on Saturday after intense data analysis, which will give him a chance to make it from Q1 to Q2.
For Saturday at the Sachsenring, even hotter temperatures, even more fans and certainly even more action are expected - but can the two LIQUI MOLY Intact GP riders fulfil the expectations they have set themselves? The answer will be found in qualifying, starting with Q1 at 15:10 (CEST).
1. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'24.222
2. Alonso LOPEZ/ SPA/ BOSCURO – 1'24.643 (+0.421)
2. Aron CANET/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'24.709 (+0.487)
4. Filip SALAC/ CZE/ KAlEX – 1'24.782 (+0.560)
5. Albert ARENAS/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'24.842 (+0.620)
6. Cameron Beaubier/USA/ KALEX – 1'24.932 (+0.710)
7. Sam LOWES/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'24.935 (+0.713)
8. Pedro ACOSTA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'25.070 (+0.848)
9. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'25.099 (+0.877)
10. Fermin ALDEGUER/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'25.108 (+0.886)
11. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'25.219 (+0.997)
23. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'26.206 (+1.984)
1. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'24.023
2. Pedro ACOSTA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'24.493 (+0.470)
3. Fermin ALDEGUER/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'24.501 (+0.478)
4. Sam LOWES/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'24.557 (+0.534)
5. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'24.600 (+0.577)
6. Marco RAMIREZ/ SPA/ MV AUGUSTA – 1'24.621 (+0.598)
7. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'24.633 (+0.610)
26. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'25.878 (+1.855)