Schrötter shines with sensational 2nd row start at home GP
In temperatures of over 35°C, Marcel Schrötter of the German LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team managed to score a coup at his home Grand Prix weekend by grabbing fifth on the grid. Team-mate Alcoba, meanwhile, faces his biggest challenge yet at the Sachsenring, starting from P30.
Despite a strong start on Friday, with P16 things did not go well for 29-year-old Marcel Schrötter in FP3 on Saturday morning. Being outside the Top 14 meant that he had to take part in Q1. But the unfavourable circumstances in the morning could not harm the local hero and so, after overcoming the Q1 hurdle, he dropped the hammer by securing fifth place on the grid for his home Grand Prix at the 3.7 km Sachsenring in front of a sold-out crowd. The experienced Moto2 rider was separated by just 0.420s from pole setter Sam Lowes. Strengthened by the thunderous applause of the fans, the Bavarian wants to make his dream of a victory on home soil come true on Sunday.
Jeremy Alcoba is also going into the tenth round of the season with unbroken motivation, after the Spaniard did not feel best on his bike during this heated and extremely challenging Sachsenring weekend. Together with his crew, he set everything back to zero before the qualifying day and even though the feeling improved a little, the 20-year-old lost a lot of time, especially in the tight corner passage of the famous "Omega". The LIQUI MOLY Grand Prix of Germany will be his biggest challenge yet, but for his team, the sponsors and fans at the Sachsenring, he will do everything he can to make up many important positions starting from P30.
The Moto2 race kicks off at 12:20 (CEST) on a sold-out race day.
1. Filip SALAC/ CZE/ KAlEX – 1'23.640
2. Aron CANET/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'23.853 (+0.213)
3. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'23.957 (+0.317)
4. Bo BENDSNYDER/ NED/ KALEX – 1'24.014 (+0.374)
5. Pedro ACOSTA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'24.052 (+0.412)
16. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'24.358 (+0.718)
28. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'25.784 (+2.144)
1. Celestino VIETTI/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'23.786
2. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'24.013 (+0.227)
3. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'24.044 (+0.258)
4. Tony ARBOLINO/ITA/ KALEX – 1'24.149 (+0.363)
16. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX –1'25.572 (+1.786)
1. Sam LOWES/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'23.493
2. Albert ARENAS/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'23.765 (+0.272)
3. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'23.825 (+0.332)
4. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'23.897 (+0.404)
5. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'23.913 (+0.420)