Schrötter fights for row five in Malaysia & Alcoba on row seven
LIQUI MOLY Intact GP rider Marcel Schrötter made it straight through to Q2 at the Sepang International Circuit on Saturday, where he qualified 14th on the grid. Jeremy Alcoba missed the top four of Q1 by nine thousandths and will lead the seventh row into the Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday.
Marcel Schrötter continued his good work so far this weekend in Malaysia on Saturday. After the Moto2 field's times in the final Free Practice session in the morning were faster than on Friday, the 29-year-old did brilliantly to secure his place in Q2 Qualifying with ninth place. During the later 15-minute session, he made a pit stop to make the most of a fresh rear tyre. In the end, he only had exactly one flying lap left with it, which was ultimately not quite enough for a further improvement. With a gap of only 0.7 seconds to the top and 14th on the grid, the German was nevertheless not dissatisfied and is in good spirits for tomorrow's 18-lap heat battle from row five.
Jeremy Alcoba had a more difficult Saturday after a promising start on a track that was once again completely new to him. Nevertheless, he improved his time in FP3 and in Q1 qualifying he was still immediately on track to claim one of the top four places for himself with a fast lap. In the end, only Italian Niccolo Antonelli managed to relegate the Spaniard to fifth place, and by just 0.009 seconds. Starting from 19th on the grid, the 20-year-old will lead the seventh row ahead of Celestino Vietti and Marcos Ramirez into his first Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday.
1. Ai OGURA / JPN / KALEX - 2'06.635
2. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 2'07.039 (+0.404)
3. Alonso LOPEZ / SPA / BOSCOSCURO - 2'07.086 (+0.451)
4. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 2'07.177 (+0.542)
5. Jake DIXON / GBR / KALEX - 2'07.292 (+0.657)
9. Marcel SCHROTTER/ GER/ KALEX - 2'07.441 (+0.806)
18. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX - 2'08.093 (+1.458)
1. Joe ROBERTS / USA / KALEX - 2'07.062
2. Filip SALAC / CZE / KALEX - 2'07.129 (+0.067)
3. Lorenzo DALLA PORTA / ITA / KALEX - 2'07.204 (+0.142)
4. Niccolò ANTONELLI / ITA / KALEX - 2'07.670 (+0.608)
5. Jeremy ALCOBA / SPA / KALEX - 2'07.679 (+0.617)
1. Ai OGURA / JPN / KALEX - 2'06.405
2. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 2'06.488 (+0.083)
3. Aron CANET / SPA / KALEX - 2'06.652 (+0.247)
4. Jake DIXON / GBR / KALEX - 2'06.701 (+0.296)
5. Manuel GONZALEZ / SPA / KALEX - 2'06.705 (+0.300)
14. Marcel SCHROTTER/ GER/ KALEX - 2'07.203 (+0.798)