Sasaki and Veijer start the Jerez Grand Prix from rows 3 & 7
For the fourth Grand Prix of the season at the traditional Jerez de la Frontera circuit, LIQUI MOLY Husqvarna Intact GP team Moto3 riders Ayumu Sasaki and Collin Veijer took grid positions eight on row three and twenty on row seven.
The qualifying sessions took place in hot 27°C air and 46°C asphalt temperatures, which Sasaki and Veijer contested separately after the Dutchman failed to make it straight into Q2 alongside his teammate with combined practice times from Friday and Saturday morning. The rookie was only a few tenths off the pace, but the 18-year-old also narrowly missed advancing in Q1 in the afternoon. His feeling is good, so he is hopeful to show a decent race.
Ayumu Sasaki entered Q2 in tenth place from the combined classification, in which he then moved up to eighth place. Not a bad starting position for the 19-lap race, but there is still work to be done for the Japanese, who has always been at the front of the field lately.
Fate threw a spanner in the works of the 22-year-old twice in a row, which is why he hopes to finally make up for the lost World Championship points on Sunday.
The Moto3 race will start at 12:00 (CEST).
1. Deniz ÖNCÜ/ TUR/ KTM – 1'45.401
2. David ALONSO/ COL/ GASGAS – 1'45.550 (+0.149)
3. Jose Antonio RUEDA/SPA/ KTM – 1'45.845 (+0.444)
10. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 1'46.230 (+0.829)
17. Collin VEIJER / NED / HUSQVARNA – 1'46.506 (+1.105)
1. Romano FENATI/ ITA/ HONDA – 1'45.908
2. Diogo MOREIRA/ BRA/ KTM – 1'46.130 (+0.222)
3. Matteo BERTELLE/ ITA/ HONDA – 1'46.325 (+0.417)
6. Collin VEIJER / NED / HUSQVARNA – 1'46.591 (+0.683)
1. Deniz ÖNCÜ/ SPA/ HONDA – 1'45.668
2. Ivan ORTOLÁ/ SPA/ KTM – 1'45.783 (+0.115)
3. David MUÑOZ/ SPA/ KTM – 1'45.965 (+0.297)
8. Ayumu SASAKI/ JAP/ HUSQVARNA – 1'46.261 (+0.593)