"Important steps" on the first day at Phillip Island
On a windy first day, LIQUI MOLY Intact GP rider Marcel Schrötter managed to take an important step towards Q2 with P12, but teammate Jeremy Alcoba is also in positive spirits for qualifying Saturday after his first laps on the Australian track, where he hopes to improve his sixteenth place in FP3.
With no rain at all in the afternoon, the Moto2™ field was able to get straight down to business in FP2. Marcel Schrötter, for example, continued to improve with each lap of the 4.4 km track to finish in a solid twelfth place, after ending the morning's FP1 in P15 in still slightly difficult conditions. The German praised the noticeable progress and hopes to maintain his position in Q2 beyond FP3 to work out a good starting position from 06:10 (CET).
Jeremy Alcoba had his first taste of the picturesque island circuit this Friday, and although a slip at the end of FP1 left him with a muddy bike, the youngster goes into the second day of practice with plenty of new knowledge. He is hoping for dry conditions to get the most out of his Kalex. With 18th place in the combined times, the chances are good for the Spaniard to move straight into Q2 alongside his team-mate and fight for the front rows of the grid.
This a goal that both riders of the German racing team are pursuing not without reason because the 25-lap race will be long and exhausting, all the more important to avoid the battles at the start when the lights go out for the 18th race of the season on Sunday at 03:20 (CET).
1. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.704
2. Filip SALAC/ CZE/ KALEX – 1'34.778 (+0.074)
3. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'34.840 (+0.136)
4. Somkiat CHANTRA/ THA/ KALEX – 1'34.970 (+0.266)
5. Tony ARBOLINO/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'35.001 (+0.297)
13. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'35.531 (+0.827)
15. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'35.799 (+1.095)
1. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'33.767
2. Fermin ALDEGUER/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'34.149 (+0.382)
3. Alonso LOPEZ/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'34.228 (+0.461)
4. Joe ROBERTS/ USA/ KALEX – 1'34.508 (+0.741)
5. Sam LOWES/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'34.544 (+0.777)
12. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'34.929 (+1.162)
16. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'35.115 (+1.348)