Austria kick-off for Schrötter & Alcoba
On the opening day at the Red Bull Ring, the new chicane between Turn 1 and Turn 3 had to be inspected. The German-Spanish rider pairing of Marcel Schrötter and Jeremy Alcoba eventually finished the first free practice sessions in 16th and 21st place.
Even if the new chicane could not yet conquer the heart of Marcel Schrötter, the Bavarian finished the Friday morning in a solid 10th place. In the second dry session of the day, the times became a little faster, but the 29-year-old did not yet get an optimal feeling. So, tomorrow, in FP3, he will try to make up for his 16th place and his 0.932s gap to the current leader, Thai Somkiat Chantra, and still secure a direct entry into Q2.
Meanwhile, more positive tones can be heard on the part of rookie Jeremy Alcoba, because, contrary to expectations after his difficult Moto3 appearance in 2021, the youngster feels more comfortable on his Moto2 Kalex machine. Even though he didn't make it directly into Q2 on Saturday afternoon with an overall position of 21st, he used the first two free practices, just like his teammate, to test the different tyre options to their limit. With his strong pace, the knowledge he has gained so far, and a good shot of motivation, the 20-year-old heads into qualifying day still reckoning he has a fair chance of a direct Q2 entry, as the grid is only 1.244s apart from P1 to Alcoba's P21.
Will the forecast rainy weather tip the scales on Saturday when FP3 at 10:55 offers the last chance to turn the Q2 tables?
1. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX – 1'35.000
2. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'35.161 (+0.161)
3. Lorenzo DALLA PORTA/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'35.186 (+0.186)
4. Albert ARENAS/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'35.352 (+0.352)
5. Somkiat CHANTRA/ THA/ KALEX – 1'35.387 (+0.387)
10. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'35.572 (+0.572)
20. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'36.113 (+1.113)
1. Somkiat CHANTRA/ THA/ KALEX – 1'34.353
2. Ai OGURA/ JAP/ KALEX – 1'34.408 (+0.055)
3. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'34.664 (+0.311)
4. Tony ARBOLINO/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'34.707 (+0.354)
5. Alonso LOPEZ/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'34.898 (+0.545)
16. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'35.285 (+0.932)
21. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'35.597 (+1.244)