Positive start for Alcoba in Thailand, Schrötter strives for improvement
LIQUI MOLY Intact GP youngster Jeremy Alcoba started the weekend at the Chang International Circuit in Thailand in a promising ninth place. Team-mate Marcel Schrötter ended up in 17th place at the end of the day despite a good first practice session.
After a typhoon had caused heavy rainfall in Buriram on Wednesday and Thursday, the Moto2 class was able to hold both free practices in dry conditions on Friday.
Even though the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP riders completed their first exploratory laps on rain tires in the morning on a still slightly damp track, they both quickly switched to slicks to begin the real hunt for times on the 4.6-kilometer Thai circuit.
In seventh place in FP1, Marcel Schrötter raised hopes of a positive start. But unfortunately, the 29-year-old, who was not particularly comfortable with the softer tire, no longer managed to improve times in the much warmer afternoon. That ultimately saw him slip to 17th in the day's overall standings.
Jeremy Alcoba on the other hand was able to beat his 12th place from the morning as well as his lap time in the second practice session by almost half a second. With a good feeling, the young Spaniard lined up in ninth place at the end and tanked up a good portion of self-confidence for Day 2 in Thailand.
1. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX - 1'36.806
2. Somkiat CHANTRA/ THA/ KALEX - 1'36.838 (+0.032)
3. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX - 1'36.875 (+0.069)
4. Ai OGURA/ JPN/ KALEX - 1'37.083 (+0.277)
5. Filip SALAC/ CZE/ KALEX - 1'37.233 (+0.427)
7. Marcel SCHROTTER/ GER/ KALEX - 1'37.274 (+0.468)
12. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX - 1'37.498 (+0.692)
1. Jake DIXON/ GBR/ KALEX - 1'36.280
2. Alonso LOPEZ/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO - 1'36.453 (+0.173)
3. Augusto FERNANDEZ/ SPA/ KALEX - 1'36.564 (+0.284)
4. Somkiat CHANTRA/ THA/ KALEX - 1'36.597 (+0.317)
5. Pedro ACOSTA/ SPA/ KALEX - 1'36.643 (+0.363)
9. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX - 1'37.025 (+0.745)
20. Marcel SCHROTTER/ GER/ KALEX - 1'37.395 (+1.115)