Alcoba & Schrötter in fighting spirit from rows five and eight on the grid
Thanks to a strong FP3, LIQUI MOLY Intact GP youngster Jeremy Alcoba made it straight through to Q2 at the Thailand Grand Prix, where he eventually claimed 14th on the grid. His teammate Marcel Schrötter follows in 22nd position on row eight.
For Jeremy Alcoba, things have been going well all weekend on the 4.6 km Chang International Circuit, which he underlined once again with a direct entry into Q2. For Sunday's race, which will hopefully also be dry, the 20-year-old is now hoping to get off to a similarly good start as he did recently in the races at Aragon and Motegi, where he was able to make up many of positions within just a few corners. His goal to crown the weekend in Buriram with further world championship points is within reach. Can the Spanish Moto2 rookie complete the triple-header as desired? The answer will be revealed on Sunday at 08:20 (CEST).
Unfortunately, his team-mate Marcel Schrötter still faces some serious struggles. Despite intensive work within the team and on himself, he continues to lack a feeling for his Kalex machine. Annoyingly, Schrötter's Q1 time of 1'36.567 would have been enough for twelfth place on the grid in Q2. But unfortunately, it didn't go beyond Q1 for the German, which means 22nd grid position on row eight for the 17th race of the season.
Nevertheless, the experienced World Championship driver will not let himself be defeated yet, because the 29-year-old is eager for the 24-lap race and hopes that he and his crew will be able to score one or two championship points with a targeted chase from behind.
1. Ai OGURA/ JAP/ KALEX – 1'35.556
2. Pedro ACOSTA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'35.887 (+0.331)
3. Tony ARBOLINO/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'36.072 (+0.516)
4. Somkiat CHANTRA/ THA/ KALEX – 1'36.125 (+0.569)
5. Alonso LOPEZ/ SPA/ BOSCOSCURO – 1'36.171 (+0.615)
8. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'36.315 (+0.759)
18. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'36.770 (+1.214)
1. Celestino VIETTI/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'36.038
2. Keminth KUBO/ THA/ KALEX – 1'36.166 (+0.128)
3. Bo BENDSNEYDER/ NED/ KALEX – 1'36.231 (+0.193)
4. Joe ROBERTS/ USA/ KALEX – 1'36.343 (+0.305)
8. Marcel SCHRÖTTER/ GER/ KALEX – 1'36.567 (+0.529)
1. Somkiat CHANTRA/ THA/ KALEX – 1'35.625
2. Tony ARBOLINO/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'35.710 (+0.085)
3. Ai OGURA/ JAP/ KALEX – 1'35.889 (+0.264)
4. Pedro ACOSTA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'35.956 (+0.331)
5. Celestino VIETTI/ ITA/ KALEX – 1'35.973 (+0.348)
14. Jeremy ALCOBA/ SPA/ KALEX – 1'36.843 (+1.218)